Topic

Gaiter sole straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gaiter sole straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Has anyone found a DURABLE gaiter sole strap or cord???

I've seen and used:
    1. elasticized cords (least durable)
    2. Taslan shoe laces ( not bad)
    3. nylon webbing (fairly durable)
    4. vinyl coated nylon straps (most
    durable but heavy)

I'm going to try double Taslan laces which I will coat the sole sections heavily with Shoo Goo.

Eric
    P.S. Maybe Spectra core or Kevlar core very light (5 mm) cord? It might hold when the nylon sheath wears off.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Eric,

I have used OR Flex-Tex gaiters for years. What has worked for me is to thread the flat lace thru a piece of clear plastic tubing, the smallest diameter that the cord can by threaded thru. This has lasted for 100's of miles and can be changed when it starts to wear out.

To thread the flat lace, I first run a stiff wire thru the tubing and crimp it to the lace. It can then be pulled thru and the wire removed.

Ed

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Not the answer you're specifically asking for…but it may be useful to someone:

I wear Merrill Overdrive trailrunners. They have a fantastic feature: a slot thru the sole where I thread my gaiter strap. ZERO WEAR AND TEAR on the strap! Problem solved, provided these shoes work for you.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Fencing wire…

Threading the lace through plastic tubing does work quite well. Replace when tatty.

Cheers

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

You might try this ….

Two materials – same method of attachment.

Use "weedeater" line trimmer cord (.060 to .080 dia line) or even fishing "leader" material (steel or thick monofilament). Measure, cut and crimp both ends using crimping sleeves of the appropriate size which can be purchased at sporting goods/fishing tackle outlets. For this application, the special "crimping pliers" that are available may not be necessary – just ordinary pliers should crimp the cord ends OK.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools