Topic

short thick pads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) short thick pads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I've always thought that short thick pads would be uncomfortable with my legs hanging over a multi inch ledge near the knees. But have never tried one.

But the Thermarest NeoAir has really piqued my interest.

Any 6 foot or taller side sleeper out there use 48" BA AirCore pad? How's it working out?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Especially after a long day of hiking or cycling I really want a pad that is continuous from hips to knees. I sleep on my sides a lot- for back sleeping it probably doesn't matter.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

1) Do you put your pillow on top of your mat or off the end? If on top you lose length and your knees might drop off the end.
    2) Do you plan on putting anything down on the ground under your feet?

My "pillow" (fanny pack with a small 1" thick open cell pad on top) is normally off the pad with the sleeping pad reaching to the crest of my shoulder. That puts the other end of the pad 7-8 inches below the fold in my knee.

But I'll need to make the pillow 1.5 inches thicker if I leave it on the ground. The current setup is barely thick enough when on a 48" prolite 3

I put a folded double 1/8 GG Nightlight pad under lower legs mid-Mar thru mid-May and Mid Sep thru Oct (MN) otherwise nothing. Full length pads during winter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools