Topic

Los Angeles area meetup?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Los Angeles area meetup?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Who's out there? Who's interested? Wouldn't it be nice to take this faceless community into the real world somehow?
    A hike? A trip? A group meeting for a beer/coffee/whatever- an attempt at a local network, a group that could pitch in to buy bulk spinnaker for MYOG endeavors…whatever. Think about it. Where are the "real" (read not electronic) communities?
    Aside from anonymous names on this site, I do not currently know anyone into the UL thing in my area. Trail runners yes. Rock climbers. Ultra-distance athletes…but not any UL backpackers (or aspiring ones).

How many are in the same boat?

I know there are schedules, jobs, friends, families, all manner of commitments…but why not try starting up a "local chapter"?
    Shouldn't that sort of be the logical progression given the time many of us spend here?
    I don't want to propose dates and times, and places…First things first: Is anyone interested?

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Craig, I'd be psyched to meet you and other folks in area… Beer/coffee/dayhike (all at once) sounds good. Who else interested?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I'm an aspiring lightweight backpacker. My base weight for a family trip in June was 45 pounds (with most of the kids' gear) and my pack is mostly loaded for the JMT with a 16 pound base. Definitely not SUL or UL but I'm making progress.

Picking your collective brains face-to-face would be great.

I'd love to join up over a coffee or a brew. Unfortunately my kids demand time so coffee in the morning, lunch, or a brew right after work is best for me.

Another alternative is this evening near the Manhattan Beach or Huntington Beach REI store. You could talk me off the ledge (of buying a JetBoil)

I live in Long Beach and work downtown LA. Leaving tomorrow for a weeklong road trip with the kids then heading out to do the JMT on 8/9.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Cool, let's see if a few more folks want to join up and we'll start talking place/time.
    I'm in Pasadena, more specifically, but willing to go wherever in LA. I leave for a trip in about 2 weeks, but before then could work.
    I know finding a time/place/date that works for everyone might be tough (hell, I might be the one left out), but we'll work on it.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Just throwing my geography into the mix so we can start thinking about it, live in Highland Park, work downtown.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I work in Culver City (as a teacher I'm off until end of August though!), but pass through Highland Park and Downtown all the time.
    Sounds like somewhere in LA might be good for the three of us.
    Chinatown? Noodles and beer in Little Tokyo?
    Keep looking here, lets see if anyone else joins in in the next day or so- if not let's go ahead and work something out.
    Sound ok?

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

I'm interested. I live in Hollywood and work downtown. My work schedule is very unpredictable, but if I can get away from the office, I'd like to join you.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Hello all, how about sometime this Friday in Little Tokyo? Lunch? Afternoon?

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

I should be able to get away for a bit over an hour for lunch in Little Tokyo this Friday. Otherwise it'd have to be evening — after 6:30.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Lunch on Friday sounds good to me…lets wait to see if John or James chime in here.
    I'm open for any time/place you want to meet- let me know.
    If you know somewhere better/easier for you than Little Tokyo, let me know, I'm up for whatever.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

I can do lunch downtown area at 1 on Friday… There's Orochon ramen in the New Otani mall, or Suehiro on 1st. Also Phillipe's French Dip, sometimes faster… Any other fairly quick places?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Friday at 1 is good for me. Christopher?

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Friday at 1 sounds great. Just lemme know a place, and I'll be there. We'll have to figure out some way to recognize each other.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

If everyone's a meat eater we can do Phillipes French Dip by Union Station. We could all wear backpacks and carry trekking poles…

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

I'm out of town till the weekend. Otherwise downtown or Little Tokyo are perfect. Maybe next time.

Jim

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Phillipes is fine…1:00 then on Friday, I'll plan on it. I'll probably ride my bike- I'll wait out front- I'll be wearing a grey GoLite Jam backpack.
    Cheers.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

I'll be outside of Philippes at 1, looking for someone on a bike with a golite pack, and someone else with a pack and trekking poles. :) I'll be wearing slacks and a dress shirt. Work sucks.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

did this actually happen? i was driving back from Montana last Friday. any interest in something like this happening again?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Anybody interested in tomorrow or next week? I'm right downtown near city hall so lunch would be perfect for me.

Jim

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

i'd have to line up babysitting and catch the train into town, so next week would be way better. or is there any interest in a nighttime gathering? more time to linger and talk shop, and that way my typing-shy husband could join in the fun.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

I'm always interested too. Work schedule is iffy, but if I can make it, I'm there.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

OK, would lunch or early dinner/drinks/whatever be better? i lean toward an after work hours event. This Friday? Next Friday? A different weeknight?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

I'm heading off to the JMT on Saturday- my evenings are taken 'till then but lunch downtown would be great.

Jim

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Hey yo, I was MIA for the first round of this LA Meetup revival. And then had an accident when Colleen proposed another round.

If everyone is back from their trips, and I know Ben2World is safely off Whitni (did he schmear or wag?), lets hookup at the end of this week, say, Friday 8/5, or Thur 8/4?

-Michael

Nick Chen

@fleetparadox

Locale: Socal

I'd love to attend an LA Get Together.

I'm fairly new to the UL Scene so it would be really interesting to see some of the gear that others have.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools