Topic

Fall sleeping system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Fall sleeping system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

sleeping gear is high on my christmas list.
    but right now my two options are a mont bell clo-up sheet.(no longer made,40*) and a mont bell 5* super strechfor a 71 mile 3 day trip I am planing for this weekend. I want to use the lighter bag but I dont Know if it will be warm enough for a 30 degree night.
    I will be in a bivy and clothing list is:
    Under aurmor cold gear
    long sleeve T
    200weight columbia fleece
    wisp wind shirt
    fleece hat and gloves
    nylon pants
    fleece socks

I could also bring a thermolite liner

any suggestions on bags or clothing?

Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

A lot depends on how cold a sleeper you are, but I know I’d struggle in those temps with a 40 degree bag and your additional clothing. Do you have a lightweight down/synthetic insulated jacket you could exchange for the fleece and wear inside the bag?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

no, I am planning on getting a coccon but the only other option
    I have now is a 1.5lb down jacket.On the other hand I sleep pretty cold I guess, at Least I ussually agree with a temp rating using only a long sleeve T and pants

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Graeme is rght. Jacket would help out quite a bit. Same with gloves, and a cap to wear while going to bed. Maybe a balaclava too? That could help your temp. range.

J R

@ravenul

Take the clo-up and stick it inside the #5. Thats what it was designed for.

Its not the lightest option, but when you gotta use what you got on hand……….

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

thanks but I dont have a #5 I have a #2 rated to 5 degrees

J R

@ravenul

Ah. I thought you ment #5 since montbell has that graded rating system. Ok. Synth or down? If its the Synth… thats almost 3.5lbs If its the down bag, its not quite 2lbs…

Eh… if it were me, Id carry the #2. But Id rather be extra warm than freeze… The number 2 has a “comfort” rating of 25F.

I guess there is a decent delemma here huh? Im not sure that wihtout better lower body insulation that the clo-up will be enough if you get lower than about 45deg. But maybe with that thermolite liner………….

John Chan

@ouroboros

I’m usually more worried about keeping my limbs warm when sleeping in the cold. Once they warm up, my body seems to “equilibrate” to the ambient conditions and I sleep well.

One trick to getting your feet and hands warmer, faster, is to use a heat-exchange balaclava (like a psolar) to breath in warm air for 15-20 minutes. Usually, this is sufficient for me to shunt warm blood to my limbs and I can stay warm so long as I remember to breath in through my nose.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I am leaving tommorow for this trip. Right now I am plannig on the #2 because I havent tested the clo-up in thease comditions, but if anyone has experince with 40-45 degree bags in 34 degree weather, and have been sucessful I will be happy to shed the extra weight by bringing my summer bag. but unless I get a reply I will save the bag to test on an overnight trip

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Good idea, Ryan. Light is nice but function comes first. Have a great trip! Be sure to share your experiences with us when you return.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools