Topic

UL Spinning tackle for Colorado trout fishing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara UL Spinning tackle for Colorado trout fishing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_100402____SearchResults

I saw this rod/reel combo today at BassPro. Has anyone had experience with this one? I'm going backpacking in the Weminuche Wilderness this weekend, maybe starting around Rio Grande Reservoir and heading towards the Divide via Weminuche / Ute Creek trail. Will the fishing be good there? I've never fished in the backcountry before–if someone can give me a primer on Colorado trout fishing with spinning tackle before my trip, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The combo kit weighs around 9 oz (not including line and terminal tackle), so not SUL. I'm leaving soon so I can't order anything online.

Also, I need to know if I should be using lures, powerbait, etc.

Finally, how do you cook your catch in the backcountry, and how do you rid your hands of that smell so that bears don't converge on your campsite?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

David, While the setup you linked to is nice and compact, I think you'll be more satisfied with a bit nicer reel (8 ball bearing rather than 4, etc) and longer rod (better line guides, etc.). For about $15 more you can purchase a setup from Bass Pro that doesn't weigh much more (for the rod and reel). You'll also need to consider the weight of a rod carrying tube and your tackle. My non-fly fishing companions frequently borrow the following from me when we are fishing (they and I really like it):

Bass Pro Micro Lite IM-6 5'6" 3 pc PACK ROD (MLT56LS-3)
    3.55 oz, $39.99

Bass Pro Micro Lite CARRY CASE
    4.40 oz, $0.00

Microfiber Hand Towel – Green (keeps the rod from rattling and provides you a towel to wipe your hands after washing them in the water)
    1.40 oz, $1.62

Plano 3×5 tackle box with lures (spoons, mepps spinners, jigs)
    5.40 oz, $2.59

Pflueger President (6720) Spinning REEL
    6.40 oz, $50.00

Total
    21.15 oz, $94.20

Ryan Luke

@rluke

Locale: Atlanta (missing CA)

Wow! I pretty much have the same setup as Brian (I just ordered the Pflueger President reel today). I carry the same rod (minus the carrying case), and a pair of small hemastats. I have really enjoyed using the rod and hopefully I will enjoy using the reel as well. I am going to try a new rod on a trip I am taking next week, it is a Pucci telescopic rod (recommended by people on these forums).

In Colorado, I seem to have more luck with Panther Martin lures, but I have also had success with Mepps and Kastmasters.

To cook fish, I usually just take some pieces of aluminum foil, a small dropper bottle of olive oil, and some small salt a pepper packets. I clean the fish, put a little olive oil, salt, and pepper on the meat, wrap it in the foil, and hold it above the fire for a little while. You may have to try it a couple of times to get a feel for the timing, but it has worked well for me.

As far as the smell goes, I usually try to cook and clean my fish far away from my campsite. I also try to avoid (and I think Brian mentioned using a microfiber towel for this) wiping my hands on my clothes after touching fish.

Happy fishing! :-)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools