Topic

New thermarest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New thermarest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I bought a 3/4 length BA Aircore. Before I tried it I was concerned about my legs hanging off of the pad but I didn't notice it at all. If anything, it helps by alleviating a little of the pressure caused by the weight of my legs on the ground. Also, I find that the pad is compressed somewhat under my body, so my legs aren't a full 2.5 inches off the ground where they extend over the edge of the pad.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I agree completely with Russell's observations. There's no dramatic drop because, among other things, the mattress isn't inflated tight as a drum. Plus, if you use a clothing "pillow" and sleep with the mattress top at the shoulders, even a shorty mattress supports most of a six-foot sleeper.

I use a POE shorty Insulmat and have to say it's far more comfortable than a self-inflator while being nearly as warm. It also packs quite tiny, another plus. Will be very interested to see T-rest's take on the concept.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I'll add to the evidence that the "drop-off" on a short inflatable pad isn't noticed. My wife and I have the P.O.E. Max Thermo inflatables that at 2.5" thick and 48" long.

I am over 6' tall and all my torso including hips are on the pad. I use the Montbell inflatable pillow which I have sewn a velcro attachment to link the pillow to the pad such that the pillow in on top of the pad.

The pad is only half inflated and I use a short closed cell foam pad under my legs. For the record, I'm a side sleeper.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Just a thought. Some folk say they CAN'T sleep on pad A, or pad B. How did folk sleep before pads? :)

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I'll add a "me too" to the previous comments. I'm sensitive to the drop-off feeling, especially since I'm a stomach/side sleeper.

I can actually feel the drop-off more on a one inch thermarest than I can on my POE 3/4 inflatable that is 2.5 inches thick.

The edge of the thermarest seems more rigid, while the inflatable gives more and is softer at the edge. I was really surprised by this.

With that said, given the low weights I'd be tempted to get a full length pad, since I often find it a hassle to deal with placing stuff under my feet that tends to shift around.
    Dan

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

"Just a thought. Some folk say they CAN'T sleep on pad A, or pad B. How did folk sleep before pads? :)"

Well… you get used to anything right? I sleep on an 18" pillow top Kingsdown mattress 99% of the time (at home)… so going from that to one night on a foamie… I get no sleep. But if I'm on a longer trip… I sleep better as time goes on. Most of my trips are just 2 or 3 nights though.

Anatoly IVANOV

@aivanov

Locale: Paris, FRANCE / Geneva, SWITZERLAND

Kyle wrote: "The thermarest Prolite Pads are now warmer and lighter"

Uhmm… The new 2009 ProLites sure are lighter, but slightly colder.

The new 2009 ProLites PLUS are warmer than the ProLites 4 they replace. By exactly 20%. They weigh the same, though.

I have comparison tables (sizes, weights, R-values) for:

• the new Therm-a-Rest ProLite

• the new Therm-a-Rest NeoAir

on my website. Sourced from official Cascade Designs data.

And, by the way, I have the exact same issue as David LEWIS. Most of my backpacking trips are too short to really enjoy the foam.

Besides, here in Europe, it's best to hide your mattress. A compact backpack is a plus as well. To avoid the "haven't you seen the 'no camping' sign?!" situations.

ANATOLY IVANOV / PHOTOGRAPHY / DESIGN / PROSE

Johnathan White

@johnatha1

Locale: PNW

I use my Ridgerest for everything, from sitting, making dinner, or laying by a fire. Which reminds me of flying sparks! Oh how the tears would fall after finding a hot ember sinking into a 150.00 mattress!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

If you were carrying the 56" version of the NeoAir (reported at 10 ounces), you could relax comfortably in your Sling Light and not care a whit about errant sparks.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

POE Insul-mat Max-thermos (and the Ether Thermo) rock. And have for years. And I don't even know what the R value is. It's funny how certain brands can re-design an existing product to achieve a marginal weight savings, at a massive price increase, and leave fans breathless.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I gotta get one of those sling light chairs, I've heard a lot about them.

Are they comfortable without the head extension?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Joe
    Same here. I also have the Max Thermo so I can't see what the fuss is all about. R rating ? At one stage I had the Prolite 3 and the Max Thermo felt somewhat as warm but comfier. The Prolite 4 is definitely warmer.
    However I have my order in for the Neo , just in case…
    Franco

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Franco,

Who is taking orders for the NeoAir?

Or was that just for Santa's list?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

It mostly depends on your height. I'm 5'9" and if I slouch, almost to the chair's max, I can rest my head on the top of the chair frame. With a jacket rolled behind my head/neck it works ok. I have a headrest but hardly ever carry it. For a more horizontal deployment, it helps to install a slightly longer cord, on the base. You can always take a turn around the rear "strut" to use the chair in a more upright position.

I love my Sling Light.
    The SlingLight eight
    Smiling Sling Light owners on the PCT north of the Forestdale Divide.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Greg
    I have told the buyer of a local shop to get me one as soon as they would be available, this was after I had seen the first pic and specs for it.
    Of course at that time he had no idea of what I was talking about but the agents did….
    Franco
    BTW I am in Australia, we are a day ahead of you guys.
    Thanks Dennis for that chair-full shot

Andrew Dolman
    Spectator

@andydolman

"POE Insul-mat Max-thermos (and the Ether Thermo) rock. And have for years. And I don't even know what the R value is. It's funny how certain brands can re-design an existing product to achieve a marginal weight savings, at a massive price increase, and leave fans breathless."

I wouldn't say the weight savings were marginal. You save 190 grams/6.7 oz (32%) on the 72inch and 200 grams/7 oz (43%) on the 47inch relative to the equivalent length POE Ether thermo.

I particularly like the 66 inch length offered as this will effectively be a full length mat for me.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

"I particularly like the 66 inch length offered as this will effectively be a full length mat for me."

I believe this one is listed at 10 ounces. I now carry the Prolite 3 Womens, 66 inches, at 20 ounces. Looks like a 50% weight savings with a minimal R loss, and it's 2.5" thick.

Bring it on.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Nevermind.

Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Locale: Central Texas

Maybe someone already noticed this, but I was on Thermarest's site today and looks like they posted their new products, including the NeoAir and Compack Chair. I haven't found any retailers selling them yet though.

http://thermarest.com/product_selection.aspx?cID=1

NeoAir

Compack Chair

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Weird, they do not give lengths of their medium NeoAir mattress and also weird, the stuff sack for the large NeoAir is about 20 percent lighter than the stuff sack for the medium NeoAir mattress. I think they need to re-measure things and also update their web site page for the NeoAir.

http://thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=139&cID=4

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

Looks like the lengths are included in the little diagrams on the left of the size chart. On the stuff sack it looks like a typo, since the grams are the same on the med and large, maybe the large should read .8 oz too. Confusing for sure.

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

Backcountrygear.com has the NeoAir up for presale with April shipments. They have the camp seats available now.

My order is in.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

The world loves beta testers.

Shane B
    BPL Member

@shanebeers

Since I just got a BA Insulated Air Core at 20% off, I'll definitely wait to hear what people think about this for nearly $100 more. :) As a side sleeper with old-before-my-time hips and legs, the super cushioning of the BA will be worth the 7 ounces, along with the R-value benefits (4.1 vs 2.5).

Since they both are 2.5" thick I imagine the cushioning will be fairly equal, however.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

I don't think that a 7oz savings over a warmer Big Agnes Insulated Air Pad is worth twice the money for me. Maybe if the Neoair came in a mummy shape and was $99.00 or so. At the current listed price I can just keep the pad I have now and go to the brewery 4 or 5 times after a backpacking trip.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools