Topic

urgent silnylon 2nds question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear urgent silnylon 2nds question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

how bad are they usually? is it usually color deformity? tears? gaps in the sealing process? i was looking into making my tarptent out of the 2nds, but if it's not worth it let me know! i was planning on ordering it tonight or tomorrow so that when summer break from college starts in august i can get some more hiking done and not be lugging around my 5 1/2 pound tent i presently use… thanks, jared.

any tips on sewing the ridgeline, or proven types of seams?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

sil 2nds are usually runs of fabric that have uneven silicone treatment or have a few uneven and funky blemishes. most of the time, there is little wrong with it. I did not care for the noah lamport stuff, so for a small order i would urge you to use quest outfitters or speer hammocks sil. that is if you're not buying in large quantities.

tip #1
    practice, practice and practice some more. sil is difficult to sew.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

out of curiousity, the 62" to 65" variation on is there an average width it usually comes in? reason being is i need about 64" to make the removable tubbed floor i have laid out the pattern for.

as for the sewing, my dad's a veteran sewer, so he'll be doing the major sewing and i'll be doing the smaller stuff like my stuff sacks, the floor, small portions of the seams and such till i get a hang of sewing the stuff. when i make my solo tarp i'll personally sew it. but the taptent for 2 my girlfriend will be sleeping in also, and is less tolerant to a ship shape shelter.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I am currently using Noah Lamport Sil and like it a lot. For $2.75yd it's hard to beat. I have had issues with quest 2nd not being coated enough and passing a mist, fraying, and tearing easier. I recommend OWFINC and until i see a reason against it Noah Lamport.

I like French seams for the ridgeline a lot!!

64" might be tough. Even though some fabric is 65" wide the last 1.5-2" on each side isn't good. It needs to be cut off. If you use it in a floor it will leak. It isn't coated as good and is perforated from the milling process. You can normally count on about 62" usable

Jared Cook

@rooinater

well i'll rework the layout for the floor to fit in an optimistic 62". it'll just cut the 2" tub floor down to being 58" wide, and maybe i'll take out the diagonal slant in the pattern and keep the rear at 58". originally it was going to be 60" actual floor width and a 58" rear width. so now it'll be 58"x58" and i'll extend it a few inches, that'll take out the slight tapper in the floor that i was adding to gain an extra sqft.

so what was wrong with the noah fabric?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

don't re-work the pattern until you get the fabric. I measured some today and to my surprise you could barley get 64" Only 1" had to be trashed not 1.5 or 2 like i thought before. No point re-doing it if it will work.. then if the fabric you get won't make 64 you can re-do it.

the stuff i measured was from OWFINC, it is my favorite, but it cost nearly twice what Noah's cost

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools