Topic

E-Z-KAT Alcohol Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear E-Z-KAT Alcohol Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Since the beginning cat food cans have been an interest to me. The Supercat stove is a Classic.

I've used the cans to make different stoves. The Fancee Feest stove is an example.

This new design comes just 5 days ago. I used 2, three ounce cans. One is a FF aluminum can and the other is a steel generic brand from Family Dollar store. The cans were opened with a safety type can opener. I used the 1/8" thick exhaust manifold wrap that is available at auto supply stores. I wrapped the aluminum can with one layer of fiberglass wrap and taped it at the joint where the two ends meet and also taped it to the bottom of the can with one piece of tape so it wouldn't move upward when I pushed it into the steel can. The wrapped can fits nicely into the steel can, just the right size. I like it when things go together just right the first time. This is one of those just right stoves. Worked great first time around.

Boiled 2 cups of water with 17ml of denatured alcohol in 7-1/4 min. with an additional burn time and flame out was at 9 min. Additional testing showed that it will boil 2 cups with 1/2 ounce of denatured under optimum conditions. (kitchen, while my wife was not present ;)

This stove will not work with Heineken pots.

Keep It Super Simple

Here are some photos:

<center>

</center>

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I like your stove. There's not much that can go wrong with it and it gets the job done.

When you say how long it takes to boil a certain quantity it helps if you also list the starting temperature. Knowing boil time, starting temperature and quantity of water allows people to compute the average power to the pot.

That allows comparisons with other stoves to be made. I have a stove similar to yours. I just stuffed some fiberglass insulation in a soda can bottom. It can't serve as a pot stand, but my wind screen has pot supports. Anyway, it's power output is 325W.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Starting temperature of the watewr was 70 degrees and kitchen air temperature was 72 degrees. No air movement in the kitchen warranting a windscreen.

My recent stove making is directed toward 1 piece stoves. Very convenient. No extra parts to be concerned with.

My goals are to create a stove that will boil 2 cups of 70 degree water with 1/2 ounce of fuel. Time required to boil doesn't matter. If it gets the boil between 5 and 10 min. I'm happy.

What is your formula to get the wattage output of a stove?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools