Topic

Winter pants for Search & Rescue

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter pants for Search & Rescue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    charles Maguire

@ctm

I was looking for idea’s for a winter overpant that would be durable enough for me to bushwask while doing wilderness search & rescue, and also keep my legs toasty standing around base camp waiting for next task etc.

Something I can easily slip on/off maybe leg zips? While searching we are usually walking pretty slow while looking for clues/tracks so I am not generating alot of internal warmth.

I have Reed pants when wet so I could wear these over a wool or natural fabric type overpant.

Also, does anyone have experience with the NEOS Trekker Overshoes? These seem like a good idea as well since I wear running shoes.

Thanks

Chuck

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Chuck, I do winter SAR here in MT alpine/hasty. I wear Arc’Teryx Gamma MX pants, which are $$ but very durable and weather resistant. No problem bushwacking or wallowing through snow in them, but slogging through very wet snow at 35 degrees is not so fun, they are too warm for that and at those temps water will start to seep in and wet the pants. These are usually my only bottom layer I take for backcountry SAR missions.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I use the neos overshoe shoe here in the cascades north central washington state, lots of big wet snow,you might want to add a felt insulating insole, I think neos offers one. And remember these are only as stiff as the shoe inside,any mukluk user will tell you how tired your feet get at first.
    I really like black diamond’s alpine pant,schoeller dynamic fabric with reinforced patches and articulation…but these are not a rain pant,but they work well with gaiters or neos..

charles Maguire

@ctm

I went with the REI Alpine Lakes pant ($99). These are full zip, breathable and waterproof. Construction seems real good with taped seams.

I bought the size larger than I need to layer either the cocoon pants or if unavail till spring I’ll get fleece full zip REI 200 weigth Polertec.

This combo should keep me toasty.

PS, I was on search last night till about 4 am (status 2 find) and I really could of used the Neos. Ordering them today.

Thanks

Chuck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools