Topic

Tripod from other gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Tripod from other gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert Dawson

@frogman

Does anyone know how to make a tripod from other gear? (trekking poles, pack, etc.) Must be strong enough for 37 oz. spotting scope and digital camera. Thanks!

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I carry an extra treking pole (A Titanium Goat adjustable CF pole at 3.4oz) in addition to the 2 I hike with, an ultrapod I (1.7oz) and 2 velcro straps (the Ultrapod already has one attached to one of the legs). I use the velcro to strap the 3 trekking poles to the ultra pod legs and set my Camera or Camcorder on the Ultrapod. If it's windy, I'll hang stuff sacks underneath to add some weight (though I've never tried this in heavy wind). Due to the flimsiness of the UL trek poles, I use a timer on my camera since touching it causes some shaking. However, I've never had a camera that weighted 37oz on it, so I can't comment on how well it will work. I think the key will be how rigid the trek poles are.

When totaled up, I carry an extra 5.1oz of gear to make a tripod. Once, I was glad to have the 3rd pole as one of my poles broke on me during a trip so it was nice to have a backup. Instead of a 3rd pole, you could look for a suitable length stick on the trail and try using that.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Robert
    If you are into digiscoping (taking pictures through your spotting scope) a make do solution won't do. About the lightest way you could get away with is a tripod like the Manfrotto 785B, don't use the two smallest leg sections and hang a weight from the center column and use the self timer or remote control if available….
    For separate use, the Ultrapod attached to a trekking pole is about the only way (I can think of) to do it. If you strap it to a heavy pack (add some weight to it if you need) it can offer some stability. You will need the Ultrapod 2 (4oz, ok up to 4 lbs)
    Franco
    Ignore the Nalgene. It was used for another shot ….FrancoPod Plus

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools