Topic

Warmth without high lofting insulation?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warmth without high lofting insulation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Brett, I think the corrugated bag I'm talking about is a different one. I looked on the MPI website and didn't see it or the vest they make out of the same material. Both are available through one of my wholesalers at work. I'll try to upload some info on them soon.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Isnt a fleece blanket much more bulkie than high loft insulation?
    and for much less warmth for the weight?
    I think thats why people dont get it.
    I have not seen a fleece blanket that was nearly as compact as as 20 DEG. sleeping bag.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Okay this is not to be rude and I am trying not to be offensive but I think many of you are missing the point. I know all about high loft insulation and own and have made pieces of gear out of synthetic and down. I am staring at two down sleeping bags and a Patagonia Micro Puff pullover right now. And get over this 20F stuff as I am looking at 40F with an emergency of 20F.

But just stop for a minute and think if there were no high loft insulation, what would you use? Or if you were in a monsoon like area where would rain for weeks on end? What techniques would help maximize this? This is what I am looking at and going for.

Jeeez.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Hey, thanks. That is quite helpful.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

How bout the poly poncho liners and jacket liners used
    by the military? Could even make an elephants foot or something similar out of one for those 20 degree cold snaps.
    Less attractive to thieves and minimal bulk.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Brad
    Is this what you are looking for ?
    http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/
    Franco

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

All you can do is to retain body heat by reducing loss to colder air outside. To my knowledge, that means loft or layers. Moisture management has been the challenge.

If I were using a low-loft sleep system, I would work in my clothing and get the multiple use factor to offset any differences in weight.

I've never done the numbers, but I've always wondered about the break even point on extra clothing vs a loftier sleeping bag– you do need to stay warm outside the bag anyway.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

If I were in a monsoonlike area where it would be raining for weeks on end, I would use high lofting SYNTHETIC insulation. It does not absorb much water, or lose its insulating qualities when damp, so you can wring it out if it gets too wet and it will continue to insulate. This is assuming you're not sleeping in the rain itself, which would really make no sense from a backpacking perspective even if you used wool blankets. The wool would absorb so many pounds of water that your backpack would weigh more after you pack up the following morning than if you'd just brought an adequate tarp or tent in the first place to keep your insulation dry.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I just wanted to say thank you to those people that were able to give me some new leads and info.

Jonas Nywall

@jonas

Though I have not used it myself I'm kind of interested in the different Pertex-and-Pile solutions from Buffalo in the UK.

They have a sleeping system that doesnt have high loft and is supposed to be working well under wet conditions. But its rather heavy and bulky.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/ssthumbs.htm

/jonas

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

The Buffalo gear might be worth taking a look at. I've heard of people waking up in one of their bags soaking wet, but not realising they were wet, they were so warm. I've not used their bags, but i have a shirt. It is worn next to the skin and is very warm. I can only wear it when active, in temps below zero. Keeps me warm even when wet.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools