Topic

New Balance MT1110GT Joggers SpotLite Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable New Balance MT1110GT Joggers SpotLite Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Colin Briggs
    BPL Member

@colinpbriggs

Locale: Melbourne Australia

Hi Roger, the joggers looked OK so I thought I would try them out. Don't seem to be able to buy them in Oz???? Tried the New Balance Outlet. They called their head office who said that this model isn't imported into Australia. Where did you get your pair from?

Colin…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Tried the New Balance Outlet. They called their head office who said that this model isn't imported into Australia.
    Yeah, this happens. Sigh. I think it is about time we skipped local distributors and bought over the web. The Oz markup is often pretty outrageous too. Granted, it gets a little more tricky with shoes. Find another NB model with that last which is available here, check the size, and then import.

> Where did you get your pair from?
    As Senior Editor for Technology at BPL … from New Balance PR department. Their advertising budget. Hey, there has to be SOME benefits from all this!

James Augustine
    BPL Member

@chirodr

Locale: Southern California

Hi Roger:
    I'm concerned with how well they breathe. Any comments / experience with this?

Thanks,
    Jim Augustine

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi James

> I'm concerned with how well they breathe.
    I can't answer that very well yet. They do have a Goretex membrane which is going to limit breathing of course. I don't normally wear membrane shoes unless I am in the snow, and that is a few weeks off.

Fwiiw, during the prelim testing with very thick wool socks I did not notice any problems. But everyone's feet are different.

I did notice the really comfortable fit due to the EEEE fitting though: a real pleasure to wear.

Cheers

Colin Briggs
    BPL Member

@colinpbriggs

Locale: Melbourne Australia

Thanx Roger,

Clearly New Balance don't wont to sell me a pair of these Trail Runners! I tried all the on-line outlets in the US. Most won't ship to Oz. The only one that did doesn't have my size!

Normally I wouldn't consider a pair of runners with a waterproof membrane except for snow shoeing. My feet sweat so much that the best shoes I can get are SALOMON TECH AMPHIBIAN, basically a sandal with mesh in between. These are the only shoes I have found where my feet don't get wet from sweat. Unfortunately they are a bit narrow aross the ball of the foot and have an internal join right in front of the little toe. After 100km or so I end up with a black nail from the nail touching against the join.

I have managed to get hold of a pair of New Balance MT800 trail runners which seem to be excellent. They are light and are wide enough for my feet. Only done about 75km in them so far with no problems.

I'm going to try out a pair of Keen Wasatch Crest WP, which have an Event lining which makes them suitable for snow shoeing. Keen list them as being availble in Oz. So I'm off to find a pair tomorrow.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Somehow I missed the original posting of this. I still have one question: Why is arch support an appalling concept? My feet give me grief without it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Why is arch support an appalling concept?
    Old discussion. It refers to the exaggerated forms of arch support which actually go UNDER the arch. I think Nike promoted them at one stage. Absolutely daft idea if the muscles/tendons under your feet rub on the arch support: you end up with RSI or torn muscle sheathe from the pressure. Most state-level and above athletics coaches won't permit their trainees to wear them, for very good reason.

What many joggers have these days is a bit of incurve at the side of the arch which they call 'arch support'. That is *relatively* harmless in comparison.

It is worth looking at expensive Italian-made leather boots. They have a dead flat inner sole. The Italians also have hundreds of years of boot-making experience.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools