Topic

Desolation Wilderness, CA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Desolation Wilderness, CA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

Desolation Wilderness, Eldorado National Forest, California.
    July 4,5,6, 2008.

Long July 4th weekend vacation, just a relaxing trip to get out of town. Not pushing the boundaries of ultralight or ultramilage or ultraanything.
    This was supposed to be my cool-down from running the Western States 100, which was cancelled last weekend due to fires. Instead I was fresh and itching to run.

Climbed from Twin Bridges (6,100’), up Horsetail Falls, and camped 2 nights at Toem Lake (7,650’). Clear and dry weather, low 40’s at night and high 80’s in the day.

Horsetail Falls from below:
    A

The steep scramble next to the falls:
    B

View over the falls:
    C

Top of the falls:
    D

Duo at Toem:
    E

Special pictures, just for Dave T:

Dave T

@davet

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Klas,

Thank you for posting those pictures.

Amazing blue sky with the granite.

-Tony

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Fantastic! Is the blue sky enhanced? Looks good.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Great photos and nice trip Klas, you really hit the weather perfectly!

After this week's brutal heat, most of those remaining snow patches will probably be gone as well.

Dave T

@davet

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

on a scale of 1 to 10,
    where 1 = no bugs
    and 10 = alaskan man-eater swarms of murder,
    I'd rate the conditions last weekend to be a 3.

During the day, we brushed a few away but generally had very few problems and no protection or chemicals required, the light breeze seemsed to help too.
    During the evenings, they were present and hungry.
    One reason we took the Duo was for bug sanctuary.
    If, for example, we had taken a tarp or bivy, a headnet would not have been weight wasted.

Have a great trip.

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

Locale: California Coast

at the end of last fall i did that trip into dessy wilderness up through eagle falls. that is a fun route– i thought it like a class 2 scramble at the crux. i did it solo and went astray a few times but ultimately made it up without any major problems. i posted a trip report back then:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=10354

its cool to note the major difference in the water level of lake aloha between late last fall and early summer (now). the water is obviously much higher now.

but i am surprised at the snowpack– nothing! compare that with the other post of the southern cascades. its like night and day.

anyway, dave im up for that route you expressed interest in– the death march or some such– going over the peaks of the crystal range. let me know when you are going to do that and i will try to make it up for the trip.

im doing 100 miles on the tahoe rim trail in a week and half. thanks for the updates via pics on the trail conditions.

cant wait!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools