Topic

Fly for REI Bug Hut 2?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fly for REI Bug Hut 2?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I've been looking for a solution since my wife bought this for our fair weather walk-ins. Cheap at $69, roomy for 2, light at 2# 10oz, and free-standing. If it could take a little rain and wind it might cover 95% of my outdoor nights.

This design has been sold under REI, Sierra Designs, Walrus, and another I can't remember. At some point a low coverage fly was offered, but no longer. Some people have MYOG flys with better coverage. All leads have been short notes on blogs, no pictures, and eventually dead-ends.

Any suggestions? I don't think I can come up with a pattern from scratch.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

just use a tarp. It will offer much more ventilation because it can be pitched higher and farther from the bug tent unlike a fly which is right on top. A fly turns it into a tent, which is what most of us are trying to avoid in the first place. I bet a 8×10 would do it but a 10×12 would be a sure thing. I just made a 10×12 that weighed 20oz and i've made 10×9 at around 15oz i think. A fly would weigh less but be harder to make and as i said really kill the breeze.

Tim

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

This may qualify as my first MYOG.

We use a Sierra Designs Eclipse CD (Clip Flashlite 2, w/o seam tape and fast pack attachments). The Eclipse is a great tent, but small and a front entry.

The REI Bug Hut II is a roomy 2 person insect barrier with a tub floor. The addition of a rain fly should make it a full 3-season tent.

This first attempt uses 5 hardware store tarp panels corresponding to the inner mesh panels. For now the seams are stapled and duct taped.j.greene's fly mockup for REI bug hut II

1124g inner tent as purchased (10g less than claimed by REI)
    1282g MYOG fly
    2406g total weight (without stakes, etc.)

Goals for next iteration:
    -add a door
    -assess ventilation
    -assemble properly (sew or glue)
    -guy-outs and internal attachments
    -reduce weight of materials

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools