Topic

Favorite Mid-Layer for Temps in 30s-50s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite Mid-Layer for Temps in 30s-50s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Keith Franchois

@kmfranchois

Hi There,

Just curious what people like to use as their mid-layer for temps in the from 30 to 50 degrees? I’ve got an Powerstretch pullover that I like fairly well at the high end of those temps but I’ve been tempted by reviews of Powershield lightweight and the RAB Vapor Trail top. What else do people out there use?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

For 30-50F I have been pretty happy using a Cloudveil Prospector Pullover (no longer made but on close out places like STP) as an action shirt (no base layer). If I am working hard it keeps me warm enough in 30F if I have a hat and an unlined windshirt on. At 50F it isn’t too warm if I vent some using the zipper.

Dryskin also worked pretty well (I tried my Marmot ATV with a tech-tee or without a base layer) but it is heavier than the prospector pullover. I tried PowerShield and found it too warm for me.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Mark,

I spoke to Cloudveil within the last 2 weeks. They indicated that the Prospector Hooded Jacket is not discontinued. They indicated that the Prospector garments are spring products (I know at least the Hooded Jacket will be produced) and they should be released starting about the last week or two of February. I do not know however if the pullover will be produced when the 2005 Hooded Jacket and Jacket? are released.

Keith Franchois

@kmfranchois

Thanks for the input about the prospector pullover/jacket but I think I probably actually am looking for something warmer. I was out on a 40-50 degree overcast/high humidity day hike the other day with a lightweight merino baselayer top, powerstretch pullover and Cloudveil Rodeo pants and I was comfortable up top but actually found myself a bit chilly in the legs unless I was hill climbing. As such, I have a hard time seeing myself being warm enough in a mid-layer of the same material as the pants. Would the RAB Vapor Trail be any “warmer” than the Cloudveil Prospector?

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

The Rab V-Trail Top (just recently purchased at Prolite Gear [www.prolitegear.com]) is a very well made and designed pullover(no hood). With its outer Pertex Equilibrium fabric it should breath very well, be wind resistant, and have good water and snow resistance. With its very nice micro fleece lining (sewn to and separate from the shell material, not laminated) it should provide very good wickability and more warmth than the Cloudveil Prospector Pullover.

Judging from what others have indicated for much of the temperature range that you are considering this top may not need an additional shell (except under extreme wind, wet or snowy conditions) or a base layer.

Prolite has this top on sale for $114.39. My large blue top weighs 13.6 oz and though the blue is no longer available in large it is still available in burnt orange for this price. Craig and Becky are great to deal with at Prolite.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am glad that the Prospector is not discontinued… it’s just out of season. I have been really happy with the Prospector and am glad it will continue for at least another season. I can continue to recommend it with the expectation that people will be able to buy one.

Keith… if you legs were cold with the Rodeo pants on in 40F weather… then I expect that the Prospector shirt would not be a good option in the 30-50F range. It seems you run a lot colder than I do. I would guess that a middle weight base (I like powerdry, but whatever you like), plus a vest like the montbell thermawrap and an unlined windshirt would provide a lot of flexibility.

dan kutcher

@danscapes49

I use an old 200wt. pile jacket made by Black Diamond.

Keith Franchois

@kmfranchois

I’ve appreciated all the input but I still don’t feel like I know which way to go. A couple things I’ve also seen that seem like possibilities include:

1) Adding a 50wt “thermagrid”/R.5/expedition weight powerdry top b/w my ltwt. merino baselayer and powerstretch pullover for some extra warmth/wicking (MEC has an expedition wt. stretch powerdry vest going for about $15 U.S.)

2) Trying out a combination of ltwt. merino top, possumdown top, and windshirt.

What do you think about those ideas?

Keith

Jim Wood
    BPL Member

@jwood

I walk/hike almost every day in temps that can range from below 0°F to 100°F or more. You ask about the 30° to 50°F range, so I’ll assume you’re looking for help selecting clothes for when you’re on the move, since requirements at rest are, of course, very different. The clothing system described below is based upon many thousands of trail miles hiked over a lot of years. It also reflects my objective of keeping it as simple/light as possible and of avoiding overheating, especially when it’s cold. I should note that when I stop/rest in temps below 50°F or so, I usually wear a puffy jacket of some sort (in addition to the clothes noted below) for additional warmth.

When I’m on the move in temps above 60°F, I usually wear just a Capilene (midweight or lightweight) long-sleeve top and cordura nylon trail pants. From 60°F down to 40°F, I add a light (5.5 oz) Patagonia Helium windshirt. When the temp enters the upper 30’s, I add a short-sleeve 100-weight fleece jacket (North Face Salathe with the sleeves cut off at the elbow) under the windshirt. I also usually add wp/b windpants over the nylon trail pants on the bottom. Further, I usually switch from the Helium windshirt to one with a hood. My favorite is a Feathered Friends Epic Jackorak (a little heavy, but worth the weight in cold weather).

Though you didn’t ask, when the temps are from 30° down to 20°F, I add the fleece jacket pull-on sleeves. When the temps enter the teens, I add a second 100-weight long-sleeve fleece jacket and lightweight Capilene long johns under the trail pants (3 layers total on the bottom). When the temp drops into the single digits or below, I’ll probably replace the two 100 weight fleece jackets with a lightweight puffy jacket such as the Patagonia Fireball (no longer made).

When it’s cold, I also usually hike with Capilene liner gloves, ear muffs, and a 100 weight fleece face scarf. I rarely use a hat on the move, since I tend to overheat too quickly. If it’s raining or snowing, I’ll use an umbrella if the wind is not too bad, otherwise I’ll switch (begrudgingly) from a windshirt to a Marmot Precip jacket. I’d love to ditch the Precip, however (not very breathable when exerting), and am looking forward to trying an eVent hard shell. In cold/windy rain, I also use GoreTex shell mittens over the Capeline glove liners as well as GoreTex oversocks inside my trial running shoes. When hiking in moderate snow (up to a foot or so), I often use instep crampons for traction. Summer or winter, I wear New Balance trail running shoes and 3-ply ragg wool socks (maybe two pair if it’s really cold).

Hope this helps…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools