Topic

How Many Days Do You Get Out Per Year?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How Many Days Do You Get Out Per Year?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Considering how much time is spent on the forums, talking and thinking about backpacking, how many days do you get out per year on the trail?

For myself, last year and this year, I have vowed to get one trip per month be it car camping with the family for an overnighter, a 3 days weekend, or a longer 1 to 2 week trip per month.

Having done that for the 1st time last year, it really has made a difference in how I feel mentally and physically.

Just curious to see how often others get a chance to get out for a trip.

-Tony

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just in case no one is noticing, I spend A LOT OF TIME on this forum! :)

Otherwise, the two things I do almost every year:

1. Traveling — I pick 2 or 3 continguous countries and travel for a month.

2. Hiking — I usually go for 3 or 4 trips totalling 12-14 bag nights.

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

Quite lucky here.

Get out on average per year btw 80-120 days out of the year, this includes backpacking, hiking, camping, but the majority of it is climbing.

Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

I try and spend around 40 nights of my summers outside. Which usually works out from between 2-3 overnighters a week (just go hiking out my backyard and get back for work the next day). Then I will go for a multiday 5-10 trek near the end of summer then im lucky to do another 5+day for winter. I'd say its around 50-70 a year when I'm on.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Used to get out about 20-30 nights a year and since I changed jobs, and now especially with the cost of gas, it has dwindled down to two night so far this year. Going to Yosemite next weekend and I have a weeks long trip in Aug. I hope to get in 10-15 nights this year. Not much, but I hope this changes next year

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I sleep under the stars about 60 nights a season. Backpacking trips are usually 5 or 6 nights each.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Usually between 30 and 40 days a year. I'd like to do more, but life intervenes.

Cheers

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Cool thread, Thanks for starting this one Tony.

Currently doing every weekend mid May through mid/late November, with a couple 3-4 day outings thrown in. Then down to 1 weekend a month when winter decides to rear it's menacing head.

About 50 nights out in varied conditions independently testing (and enjoying) lightweight gear systems in the "home of the worlds worst weather"

Cheers
    Jim

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

NOT ENOUGH!!!

OK, 20 -30 nights a year.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Backpacking: 45 or so

Climbing: 30 or so

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I have averaged about 25 nights per year over the last ten years. Last year was 40 nights, this year should be about the same unless I break something or a part falls off. I only occasionally go on long trips; most of my hikes are 2-5 days. I try to get to the Sierra twice each summer but mostly my trips are in the mountains and canyons of Arizona.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Around 30 days per year for the past 22 seasons.

Any one able to identify my avatar?

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

To keep peace at home, I get out solo every third weekend of the month. With this weekend "reserved" for me, there is seldom a conflict.

Pack is always ready! Car is always gassed up! My mind is on the trail LONG before the weekend gets here.

Note: My wife often uses this weekend for shopping & visiting. She will drop me off at a trailhead on her way to the mall.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I'm aiming for 100-120 days this year. I think all the numbers shown here are great. If you can spend even just 20 days a year in the wilderness, that's a big achievement and a big part of your life.

Gail Lusk

@alohatink

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!

I usually get 3 or 4 days per month…around 45 days per year and one mainland hike as well.

Not always the in wilderness though…car camping comes in there, anything to be outdoors and away from the house is fine for me.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

I envy those reporting in the triple digits. I average about 40-50 per year, about half of which is car camping (aka fishing near a lake or river). Lots of weekends or long weekends, including 2 of my 3 weeks of annual vacation time from work.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I'm not sure, but it's a LOT. Last year I think that I got up to about 280-300 days out. This year may be slightly less, probably around 250 days. I work in the wilderness out of my backpack, and on my off shifts I typically go hiking or camping. I commonly spend about four-six nights a month at my house.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

I want to be you when I grow up.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

oh man, my numbers are not even close to many of you.

Hiking/trailrunning: 4 times a week
    Nights out/Year: about once a month or so

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I spend on average about 40 nights per year on the trail. Mostly on the AT, in the Smokies, or on the Cumberland Plateau.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools