Topic

Avy-Cran Wraps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

For all you lunch wanters, Ford and I had these recently.

Yes, I have a minor obsession with avocados. ;-)

This wrap is very easy to do and while a bit heavier is well worth carrying it with you.

I used La Tortilla Factory Multi Grain wraps, small tub cream cheese, an avocado and dried sweetened cranberries. This will make 2 wraps.

Photobucket

First off I spread 1 ounce of cream cheese on each wrap. You can use shelf stable or for an overnighter just carry normal cream cheese. Often near the bagels in grocery store bakeries you will find one of the two styles in 1-2 ounce tubs.

Photobucket

I split the avocado in half, then sliced each half and placed it on a wrap. I then sprinkled 1 Tbsp of the cranberries on top of each wrap.

Photobucket

Ford wanted a bit more so I shredded on two thick slices of natural turkey for him.

Photobucket

Roll up and enjoy! These wraps will more than fill you up.

~Sarah

Elizabeth Rothman

@erothman2

Locale: Pacific NW

I was up at Berg Lake this week, in Robson National Park (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED destination) and a guy sat down on the shelter bench next to me and pulled out a half an avocado, slowly sprinkled it with salt and pepper, and ate it with a spoon. I stared with such longing I embarrassed myself. How do you keep avocados safe in your pack? Are they a first day-only item?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I wrap them in paper towels to pad them and then into my mug :-) If you want a day or two out get unripe ones. (Ie..usually bright green if a Hass). Also, sometimes you can get bags of smaller avo's much cheaper than single big ones. These work even better as they are more "one person" size.

And yeah, nothing better than one on the trail!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

if you can find one that is hard as a turnip you can except it to ripen by day three or four… special care must be taken not to bruise it and that's where a piece of bubble wrap is absolutely invaluable.

here is a photo of a salad with quinoa and avocado that we take on the trail…

quinoa and avocado salad

note: edited to fix photo placement

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Forget the turkey. Add bacon! :D

Elizabeth Rothman

@erothman2

Locale: Pacific NW

Unripe in bubble wrap! BRILLIANT! Can't wait for my next trip!
    And bacon…… :-)

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

I wrap my avocados in a bandana, then put them in my pan.

Here's another wrap with avocados and bacon.

Avocado

Esmerelda Wrap
    Serves 1

1 large flour tortilla
    1 packet shelf stable bacon (Boar's Head brand)
    1 packet shelf stable cream cheese
    1 fresh avacado
    2 sun dried tomatoes

At home: wrap the tortilla in foil. Cut the sun dried tomatoes in tiny pieces and put in a small zip locking bag. Carry the bacon and cream cheese separately.

In camp or on the trail: spread the tortilla with cream cheese. Top with all of the bacon. Cut the avacado in half and scoop out the flesh. Top the bacon with half of the avocado (eat the other half!). Sprinkle with sun dried tomatoes. Roll and eat!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Well, yeah! Bacon does make everything better….. ;-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools