Topic

Perfect pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Perfect pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Ryan,

Many pack makers use Dyneema Grid Ripstop in some of their Backpacks including Six Moons and McHale.

Rich

Ron Moak

@rmoak

For what it’s worth.

The production of Spectra became scarce in the US with the advent of the two wars. Military procurement dictates that both the fiber and fabric be sourced domestically. As a result all Spectra production and fabric was consumed by the military.

The switch to Dyneema by most mainstream manufactures started occurring several years ago. This is primarily because both the “cut & sew” operations and fabric mills were located overseas. So it made little sense to ship domestic fabric overseas.

A number of gear manufactures hung onto the Spectra name long after the switch, simply because the materials are identical and to avoid name confusion.

Small US manufactures of gear (self included) must now import Dyneema from overseas. No domestic mill will sale materials in quantities to be affordable.

Ron

Charles Ledney

@lednec

Rich is correct, however, I think that in the terms that I and the industry used it is somewhat confusing. Usually when a pack maker says that a pack is made from Spectra, the whole pack is actually Spectra. Dyneema on the other hand, as I used it and most pack makers use it, actually refers to some type of ripstop nylon with Dyneema thread as the ripstop material (ie, the white diagonal threads crisscrossing the fabric). Therfore the pack is mostly nylon with a small amount of Dyneema.

There are only a couple of packs made with Spectra (Kelty Cloud, Wild Things Icesac and Andinista and the Mithril) they are all white in color and very expensive (except the Mithril).

Hope that helps.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Thanks Charles. Clears it up for me. Understand your meaning now.

Charles Ledney

@lednec

I would like to thank everyone for all their help and suggestions. I think for now, I am going to order another MS Ghost, it worked well for me in the past and since production is ending this year, I better get one before they are all gone.

Additionally, I am going to start work on my own pack design. I have always loved to design and make things; and with a brother-in-law, and two sisters–in-law that are mechanical engineers along my own engineering background, we should be able to design a pack that weighs less than 200 lbs, is completely indestructable and is as functional as a five gallon gas tank on a Hummer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Charles,

One more suggestion check out the new ULA Conduit 3200cu in. at 20oz.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/conduit.html

Regards,
    FastWalker

Apabrita Basu

@harmonrab

hi,

anyone used a north face vapor series pack ? a north face vapor 85 ? I have some serious issues with packing it. It’s supposedly a 6500 cu inches pack and under weight it leans to one side and not the other. I need some major advice on how to fix this situation

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Commander Rab,

Sir, i hope someone here on the BPL Forums will be able to ans. your question. Most of the people who participate are light/ultralight backpackers using far smaller packs. However, some also come from “heavier” backgrounds and are very experienced (i, unfortunately, am not so experienced and cannot ans. your ques.). So, a reply with an answer to your question may take a little longer than usual. I’ve seen replies to Posts come in even months later. So, if you don’t see an ans. immediately, please check back periodically.

J R

@ravenul

Has there been any news re: the BMW packs?

Also, after much consideration, Id like to say that Id very much like to see a Virga sized version of the Granite Gear Wisp (compression beavertail flap, a lid flap with pocket, a padded hip belt with pockets, and 3L hydration compatible) made with a Dyneema/Spectra material.

But thats just my thoughts.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools