Topic

Briefly Speaking…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Briefly Speaking…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Have you worn any of the three briefs below? For hiking and traveling wear, which one do you prefer and why?

1. Patagonia
    2. REI MTS
    3. Ex Officio

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a couple Patagonia boxer briefs and regular briefs and find them very comfortable. Being Patagucci, I got them for 40% off during a sale at a local Patagonia shop (Duck's Back in Phoenix, AZ has great biannual sales – no web sales though).

My wife has a bunch of Patagonia and REI sports underwear, she seems happy with both.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Ryan.

I've heard really good things about Patagonia — and mixed feedback on Ex Officio. I am curious about REI since they are on sale right now — and are half the price of Patagonia. OTOH, if anyone knows of any Patagonia briefs on sale… please let me know.

Adam Behr
    BPL Member

@justsomeguy

I've only tried the boxer briefs, not briefs, but just in case you can extrapolate anything useful from my experience…

The ExOfficio boxer briefs are the best I've ever tried, and by a wide margin. The Patagonia ones just lose their shape/fit way too quickly over the course of the day, though they feel pretty similar immediately after donning.

I haven't tried the REI brand though…

YMMV

Max Hoagland

@maxhoagland

I have a pair of the patagonia and the ex officio. I like the fabric of the EO better, it is softer and lighter, but they are very high waisted and a wide elastic. The patagonia pair isn't as soft or stretchy, but the waist is lower, has a softer less noticeable elastic, and has a lower waist. Personally I like the patagonia a lot better.

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Dunno your size, but Patagonia web bargains currently has the briefs in sizes small and XXL for $9.75 and boxer briefs for $13 in S and XXL.

http://www.masseysoutfitters.com has a bunch of sizes and colors in the briefs for $9.49, not sure of shipping costs, no experience with this merchant though.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Interesting thread, Ben. I myself have tried both REI MTS and ExOfficio. REI's is not bad, but the ExOfficios just feel wonderful. They are so silky and soft that I often wear them around town. I like them so much I went back the other day and bought another pair, while the REI languishes in my drawer. I believe the ExOfficios are a fraction of an ounce lighter, too.

Now…I briefly (no pun intended) pondered returning the REI briefs to REI, but you all can be glad that I did not.

Now that we're on the topic, how many bring an extra pair of briefs with them backpacking? I've been bringing an extra pair so I can take camp baths without standing around in the nude.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Maybe they've been re-designed now, but they wrapped me up so tight…

I've been happier in patagonia and smartwool.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I used to use nylon briefs but this year have switched to Ibex Balance Briefs. So far they hold up great — specs:

# 17.5 Merino Wool blend (85% Wool/10%Nylon/5% Spandex)
    # Ultra-fine softness
    # Form-fit
    # Body mapping for comfort and support
    # Avg. weight 1.8 oz.

http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/ProductDetail.php?GID=971&VID=11282&Product=Balance-Briefs

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I'm very happy with the first pair of ExOfficio breifs, but the next 2 had looser leg openings. The elastic was not pre-tensioned in the legs.

Silk can also be far better than cotton. The main problem is all the imaginative images to google through before finding something practical. (Social conservatives might want to close the blinds first.) Finally found breifs by Ever June on Amazon with a really good, traditional low-ish rise fit. Very light and don't have that cotton diaper feel or smell.

Patrick Baker

@wildman

Ex officio boxers, durable and comfortable

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ben,

I have the REI and Ex Officio briefs.

The REI ones, for the same size as the Ex officios, are a little snug and the fabric is not nearly as soft or breathable.

Unfortunately, I find that the few pair of REI briefs that I have I avoid wearing in favor of the Ex Officio.

-Tony

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Hey Ben,

Long time. My vote goes for patagonia but you probably already guessed that. The reason why is the combination of the fabric and cut. They provide just the right amount of support and seem to ride a little higher in the crotch so they do a better job at wicking. Also for some reason they don't pick odor very fast.

I really don't have experience with the others but friends of mine who do say the patagonias work better.

Best,

Roy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools