Topic

Perceived problem using the PCT bag hanging system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Perceived problem using the PCT bag hanging system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been using the PCT bag hanging system for the first time this year and have found that it works like a charm until my food bag(s) get up over about 8 pounds, which is unavoidable on my longer trips. When this happens, the rope really chews up my hand when I am holding onto it while tying the clove hitch. I guess I could go to 2 systems but am looking for a way to do it with one, in true UL fashion. Any suggestions?

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

You could take four or five turns of the rope around the stick to lock the rope (overlap the initial turns with subsequent turns to keep them from slipping), then hold the stick with the rope between your ring and middle fingers and use the pinky finger to help grip the stick. That leaves your thumb and index finger on the same hand to assist in tying the clove hitch. Once the hitch is in place and dressed, roll the stick slowly to release the lock and you’re left with just the clove hitch (at a cost of only a few inches of hanging height).

Also, when the bag is heavy, using a rope-locking stick makes hoisting easier and the rope is less likely to slip through your hands. You can lock the rope around the stick while the rope is under tension: hold the stick almost parallel to the rope, rotate the stick around the rope so as to gather a few turns, then rotate the stick perpendicular to the rope. Usually, the turns will slide together and lock.
    (I hope this isn’t excessive detail, but I figured if I was going to write it I might as well be complete.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Douglas,
    That sounds like a right on solution. Many thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools