Topic

Super light reels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Super light reels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

I found this

http://www.dennisonspecialtyflyreels.com/servlet/Detail?no=18

anyone else have a favorite lightweight reel?

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Ross Evolution is an outstanding reel albeit pricey.

Troy Meadows
    BPL Member

@lightworker

Locale: Sierra foothills

Jeff do you own one of these reels I would love to know how you like it. The Weight for the price is almost to good to be true.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Troy, I do not own it. Unless I can come across a better option between now and the time I purchase my lightweight rod(or build my own). I plan on picking it up.

I am also interested in any feedback if someone purchases one. I will post up the info and review of whatever I go with.

Jeff

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/stealth.html
    2.2 oz reel

this is my dream UL set up. until then i have a 7 piece with a Martin reel

Art Sandt

@artsandt

I own one of those Dennison reels and I think it is not good for a whole lot of anything. The reel is so small it hardly holds any line (it wouldn't hold an entire 3wt line), what line it does hold comes out in tiny tiny coils, and the reel has almost no leverage for fighting fish again due to the small diameter. The reel doesn't have any drag, which is OK for ultralight reels, but the spool doesn't have an exposed rim for palming so if you hook a big fish, you can't play it from the reel.

Two alternatives:
    Orvis Battenkill Barstock 3.2 ounces for the I size, 3.5 ounces for the II size. Smooth disc drag, machined construction, exposed rim for palming the spool.

White River Fly Shop Classic "Ultralight" 2.2 ounces, click and pawl drag (not adjustable), but the reel has fully machined construction and an exposed rim for palming.

Both are about $90 and very high quality fly reels.

Todd Homchick

@upricon

Locale: San Gabriel Mountains

I have the Dennison rod and reel combo. The reel does not hold enough line and has no drag. This combo is perfect for small brush choked streams and creeks. In the Sierra's I fish mostly in lakes above tree line and larger creeks. I ended up buying the Cabela's 8'6" travel rod and an Orvis BBS ll reel. This combo at 7 ozs. is just 2 ozs. more then the Dennison but is well worth the extra weight because of it's extra casting power, adjustable drag and greater line storage. This combo costs around $200.00 which I think is a great deal when you consider what you could pay for expensive fly fishing gear. Besides who wants to bring a $1000.00 rod and reel combo out into the wilderness anyways.

Shane Stewart
    BPL Member

@anacrime

I recently picked up this reel here

Reel]

J. Austin Forbes Avon 2"
    http://www.jaustinforbes.com/avon.html
    1.6oz

My Sage SLT 0wt rod is 1.69oz. With line the total weight is about 4.5oz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools