Topic

Lightweight mosquito protection under a tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight mosquito protection under a tarp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    John Doe
    BPL Member

@jessearl

What would you recommend as the lightest weight mosquito protection to use while using a tarp for shelter from the rain?

I've got a Outdoor Research Helium Awning tarp that I use. It pitches low to the ground on three sides, but I've still got the one side that lets the mosquitos in.

What do you recommend? A bug bivy? I've seen where people attach a precut piece of netting on the open side of tarp using binder clips.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

A headnet is pretty light if you can make it work.

Paul Cronshaw

@beemancron

Locale: Southwest US

You can use BPL's UL head net and sleep cowboy style under a tarp. Fits nicely in combination with a baseball cap. However, if the netting touches your skin, you are fair game for a mosquito to insert its proboscis and catch a midnight snack.

Great pics of this headnet at: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ultralight_headnet.html

I have also ordered a Simblissity Bug Net from BPL and will be testing for under a tarp on my JMT trip.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

John,

For full length bug protection, you might want to consider the Mountain Laurel Designs Bug Bivy:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=55&osCsid=28834ca1521838334f637c309c588b85

At 5.3 oz, it is really light weight.

I don't own this myself, but I am considering it.

Just this year, I am experimenting with using a MLD Poncho Tarp and MLD Soul Side Zip Bivy.

Depending on if I have problems with bugs, I think that this would be a logical addition to my setup.

Hope this helps.

-Tony

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I too have been experimenting with an MLD bivy and tarp and am now considering the bug bivy. Conditions in my neck of the woods certainly warrant more protection. I just wish I could read a review by someone who has actually used the MLD bug bivy.

Cheers

Christopher Behrer

@cbehrer

Bug protection is the only step I have left in my conversion to a tarp system, and I think I'm going to go with this

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86660

it may not be from one of the highend UL companies, but it's only 5 ounces, and most importantly to me, it's only 30$ compared to $120 for the mld bug bivy

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Looks fine. I suspect the price difference is due (among other things) to the difference between mosquito netting and no-see-um mesh.

Regardless of the size holes, I would probably spray it with Permethrin to avoid some crawlies.

René Enguehard
    BPL Member

@ahugenerd

Locale: Newfoundland

I don't know if this is common or not, but around here we have to worry about ground-based bugs. While none are venomous, we do have a heck of a lot of red ants. Waking up in the middle of the night covered in red ants that are eating you would not be fun. I guess it really depends on your area, but I would never go out without a sealed system.

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

I bought a Stansport mosquito net from this seller on eBay last year, and it's worked very well with my Gatewood Cape. I chose it over the Coghlan's because I preferred the color (green instead of white). The fact that it was less expensive didn't hurt, either.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have found a 3 yard section of noseeum that I bought at Seattle Fabrics for $9 to be a great investment. You can use it as a bug screen on a tarp with clip or you can tuck it around yourself while sleeping in really hot environments.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

John,

Having done my share of "tarping" I have switched to a T.T. Contrail that is very breezy but keeps ALL bugs out and is very fast to pitch.
    For me tarps are history except for car camping dining flys.

Eric

David Potesta

@potestapotesta

Locale: Wisconsin

Ernie: Does this net have a bottom? How do you get in it? I have a tarp that I like to pitch in a half pyramid shape so I'd like to find something that will work with that.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Ernie,
    Is it truly Noseeum? Lots of vendors call their nets noseeum and they aren't. Just wondering 'cause the price is good if it is.

Thanks for the input,
    Todd

Karl Gottshalk
    BPL Member

@kgottshalk

Locale: Colorado, USA

What is the weight of this net?

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

The net weighs about 5.5 oz and doesn't have a floor. There are stake loops at each corner, as well as a strip several inches wide along the base that folds under for a little extra protection. You have to lift a corner to get in and out — there's no zipper. I'm not sure if it's noseeum or not. I'll check on that tonight and follow up.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I bought that Campmore net a couple years ago… it is not no-see-um mesh. Pretty big openings. And the peak is REALLY high. But you could just bunch it up and tie a suspension guy further down. It also has no floor or zipper. If it works… hey… cool! But you do get what you pay for.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

John – Here is a picture of a bug net my wife and I fashioned for our OR Helium Solo. We both sleep in it and neither of us really likes the idea of using a bivy. The net is an 11 dollar Coughlins bug net. Not sure how this will work yet in the field, will be trying it out Thursday thru Sunday. The net weighs 8 ounces (we haven't trimmed anything out of it yet) It is attached thru the center rings of the net in the center and then attached on each side at the foot and head to keep the net parallel with the walls. Should be enough room to tuck edges in under tyvek ground sheet. There's enough material at the front to easily lift up and down for entry/exit without having to create a door. We only have bugs here to worry about for about a month or so and thats it so I think this will be an easy enough solution for us. Can't be the price for 11 bucks but the openings seem a little big. Hoping it keeps the mosquitoes out. We're going to think about how we can sew a better net out of "no-seeum" this fall.

OR Helium Solo Bug Net

John Doe
    BPL Member

@jessearl

Joe, looking forward to hearing about your experiences with your tarp and bug net.

And thanks for the included picture.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

I had been looking for a lightweight bug solution for thru hiking the A.T. this summer. I initially bought the Coughlans 21.00 dollar bug net that I saw on campmor, but thought it to be inadequate. I then broke down and bought the $120 MLD Bug Bivy. I went without it for the first $850 Miles until I reached Waynesboro, VA. Let me tell you. After an all out assault at the Maupin Field Shelter I was so glad I had purchased the bug bivy. I sleep inside of it almost every night now. That thing is worth its weight in gold. It pitches nicely under a tarp. or solo. I have also had no problems with the waterproofness of the silnylon floor during a rainstorm. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I am 6'2 and am very glad to have purchased the Long option.

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

For those who are interested, I used a magnifying glass to measure the width of the openings on the Stansport net. As best I can tell, they're a little under 2 mm across. By comparison, the openings on my BPL ultralight headnet are about 1 mm wide.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thank you, Ernie.

Won't work down here in Florida, so it's nice to know that ahead of time!

Todd

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Sorry it took so long to get back on this thread. I returned home to a dead workstation and it has taken me a week now to get it semi back online.

The el cheapo 11 dollar bug net worked very well for us under my tarp. There was enough drape to stash it under the tyvek groundsheet. Skeeters stayed out, we stayed in and stayed comfy.

It is certainly not an elegant solution, but for an 11 dollar solution, it was rather nice. I suspect within the next few weeks out here we wont need a bug net anyway. So for me, I'm happy with what I came up with previously.

Peace.

–Joe
    http://www.bozemanstoveworks.com

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools