Topic

Alaskan Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Alaskan Gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Eldred
    BPL Member

@celdred

Locale: Mountains!

Here is what I am considering for a 3-5 day Alaskan solo summer hike next summer. Some of the gear I have, some of it I don’t, some of it hasn’t been released yet, some of it doesn’t exist and must be made (ideally someone here will have a commercial solution, but I can make stuff if needed.)
    Situation: Remote location, Day temps up to 75-80, Nite temps as low as 20, could get rain/high wind, could get lots of sun, there will be many insects. travel in various terrain, including exposed mountain ridges and thick alders. Possible fall down a scree field.

The weights listed are approximate/expected. Stuff with a * I do not have

Shelter System- 36oz
    *TarpTent Rainbow- 32oz
    *Mountain Laurel Designs Groundsheet- 4oz

Sleep System- 39oz
    *Bozeman Mountain Works Arc X Cocoon Synthetic Quilt- 25 degree – 26oz
    *Gossamer Gear NiteLite Torso Pad- 8oz
    *2*Gossamer Gear ThinLite 1/8inch Pads- 4oz
    Stuff Sack- 1oz

Clothing- 51.5oz
    SmartWool LS Zip-T- 6oz
    ID eVent Rain Jacket- 10oz
    SmartWool LU Bottoms- 5oz
    GoLite Reed Rain Pants- 4oz
    REI Wind Fleece Headband- 1oz
    REI Wind Fleece Hat- 2oz
    Black Diamond Jetstream Gloves- 2oz
    OR Rain Mitts- 1.5oz
    UnderArmor Lo-Cut Socks- 2oz
    *Patagonia Micropuff Pullover- 12oz
    PossumDown Socks- 2oz
    *Cocoon X Balclava- 3oz
    Stuff Sack- 1oz

Cook System- 11.5oz
    *Titanium Pot w/ Foil Lid- 4oz
    MSR Pocket Rocket- 3oz
    Anti-Gravity Gear Pouch Cozy- 2oz
    *Foil Windscreen- 1oz
    Titanium Spork- 0.5oz
    Plastic Mug- 1oz

Pack- 34oz
    *Bozeman Mountain Works Spectra Pack w/ CF Frame or McHale Custom Subpop 33oz
    *GG Pack Liner Bags 1oz

Other- 22.5oz
    Toiletries-2.5 oz
    First Aid- 5oz
    Repair-3oz
    Firestarting-1oz
    Aqua Mira-1oz
    2*Photon Microlights-0.5oz
    Sunscreen/Insect Repellent-1oz
    TP + Hand Sanitizer + Lighter-1oz
    Stuff Sack- 0.5oz
    2L Platypus + Hose System-4oz
    Headnet-3oz

Navigation- 5.5oz
    Compass-1oz
    Maps-2oz
    GPS-2.5oz

Worn- 69oz
    Clouveil Inertia Pants-10oz
    Under Armor Boxers-2oz
    *RailRaiders EcoMesh Top-6oz
    *Timberland Delerion Adventure Racing Shoes- 28oz
    UA Lo-Cut Socks-2oz
    *Timberland Gaiters-2oz
    REI Sun Hat-2oz
    Bandana-0.5oz
    Leatherman Juice S2-3oz
    Butane Cigar Lighter-1oz
    2.5″ Drop Point Knife-3oz
    *Compass/Altimeter Watch-2oz
    Whistle-0.5oz
    Sunglasses-1oz
    *Bozeman Mountain Works Carbon Fiber Poles-6oz

Survival Gear
    EPLB w/ GPS 8oz
    Survival Belt + Belt Pouch w/ survival kit 6oz

Total In Pack: 200oz (12.5lbs)
    Total Worn: 69oz (4.31lbs)
    Total Skin-out: 269oz (16.81lbs)
    Fuel for 3 days: 7.5oz (~.5 lbs)
    Food for 3 days- 96oz (6lbs)
    Water- 32oz (2 lbs)
    Pack Total: 335.5 oz (20.97 lbs)
    Skin Out Total: 404.5 (25.28 lbs)

Rationale:
    Shelter- I need a a shelter that can resist high winds, blowing rain and hordes of mosquitos. So a free standing tent fits the bill. The lightest free-standing tent I could find is the upcoming Tarp Tent Rainbow (look at the preview under Spotlites on BPL.com)

Sleep- There will be stream crossings and possible heavy rain. A down bag is too much of a liability in my opinion, and doesn’t deal well with condensation either. So a synthetic bag is the choice. The lightest I could find is the upcoming BMW Arc Cocoon (on a forum thread, can’t remember which one). This is paired with multiple closed-cell foam pads for flexibility and not having to worry about getting pads wet or punctured.

Clothing-
    full rain wear- jacket and pants are good for above tree-line winds. the eVent jacket is breathable enough to be worn as a wind shirt over a light layer. the patagonia micropuff along with a synthetic balaclava will push the 30-degree bag to 20 at least.

Pack- I need a tough pack that can deal with sharp rocks and alders. McHale makes excellent packs, and so are the upcoming Bozeman Mountain Works packs (again, saw them in a forum thread).

Other- I like hose systems instead of bladders, primarily because they keep my hands free and don’t require stopping to drink. I feel the need for lots of first aid and repair gear because of the remote location and the terrain I am traveling on. A fall on scree can easily break gear or cause serious injury.

Worn-
    Lighweight soft-shell pants and a long sleeve sun shirt are ideal multi-purpose apparel for both above and below tree-line travel. timberland shoes look like an excellent cross-terrain shoe for wet conditions. trekking poles help stabilize the shelter and provide additional support in wet conditions. a lighter and multiple knives are good survival tools.

Survival: this is gear that I don’t even include in my weight totals. A PLB provides emergency last-case insurance: alaska is too remote to rely on conventional signaling means in the event of a problem. A survival kit that stays on the body all the time (along with the aforementioned knives and lighter and the PLB- in a waterproof case) provide more emergency insurance in case my gear gets lost.

Summary: Basically, I have selected gear to deal with temps between 20 and 75, heavy wind and rain, insects and sun. It must be durable to deal with scree and bushwacking. I erred on the side of caution and I could probably deal with colder temps than those listed. There is also a fair amount of survival/emergency gear because of the remoteness.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Impressive list— an eVENT jacket makes for a very warm windshell—sometimes too warm. It can get hot (!) on an Alasken Summer’s day—unless this is in a more maritime influenced part. A little 3 oz. pertex quantum windshell is so versatile (great for LW bug pro, a sleeping garment to keep your bag cleaner, even as a replacement for a non-baselayer shirt. It takes up so little space.

It would be nice if the BMW pack will be ready by Summer but I don’t know If Ryan and Co. can guarantee that. Ditto Cocoon X balaclava. If you decide on the McHale, you better order soon—-waiting list + production time!

If travel to Alaska is not by car–transporting fixed length poles can be problematic. A shipping tube may be in order.

Clothes list is very nice, very versatile.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools