Topic

Where do people in NE find dried veggies?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Where do people in NE find dried veggies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Hey everyone:

So I've got a menu planned thanks to Sarah's great site, but I NEED freeze dried veggies!

Can I get these at Shaws? I checked Trader Joe's and found nothing! Where do you all get yours?

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

http://www.justtomatoes.com/dried_vegetables.html

They're in CA, but they ship for free on orders over $100. (It's not hard to spend that either, unfortunately.) There's also a store finder on their site, with many shops in the NE carrying some of their products. Calling a bunch of them to find out what they have in stock might get a bit tedious though.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Often upscale grocery stores carry Just Tomatoes stuff, as do "natural food" stores. I can find them in most places like that. Kroger owned stores as well.

Look for Just Tomatoes brand as well as Crunchies. Ask! Often they are carried and no one knows it :) Sometimes in with natural foods, other times with nuts/chips/snacks.

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Last summer before I moved to Montana, the Nashua and Manchester EMS stores had a collection of dried veggies with their freeze dried food. You may want to try them. I never had luck finding a lot at Trader Joe's.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Try Whole Foods Market, they have a pretty decent selection of the Just Veggies line of ingredients for making Sarah's great recipes.

Cheers
    Jim

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

harmonyhousefoods.com has a lot of dehydrated stuff

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You cannot go wrong with http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com
    Good food, great service and free shipping often. And most of what they sell works great in bag meals and one pot meals. No presoaking needed.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Andrew,

I often dry my own because of the expense of freeze-dried veggies. Plus this way I can dry entire meals and all I have to do at camp is rehydrate them.

That said, http://www.JustTomatoes.com is a great source.

Norman Bradley

@normanb

Locale: New York

Dried MushroomsFor mushrooms I go into one of several asian grocery stores in my area, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Korean. All kinds of stuff: Shitakes, forest mushrooms (also called skitakes but closer to button style with cracked looking caps) you can get them large and very small too, a new one I just got that's called "reishi" (looks like strips of rosewood and smells like wood – have not tried it yet), White fungus (looks like a yellow sponge with dry texture a bit like paper – tasty in soup), black fungus (really woodsear mushroom – kind of leathery but with a crunch).
    You can also get 2 or 3 types of seaweed, dried shrimps and little fish, oodles of noodles, and various other items I just can't think of right now.
    Forgot….will try to add photo of 'shrooms this weekend once I figure out how to add it to the post.
    That was easy….
    Clockwise from top Left: Forest Mushrooms large and small, White Fungus, Reishi, Black Fungus.

Jim Bailey – Whole Foods? I'll have to check that out – have one just around the corner from my office, never noticed dried veges of any kind in it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Norman, you might ask – they often hide the Just Veggies (why I will never know!). Some stores put them near the chips/crackers or the nuts as well……

White Tail

@whitetail

Packit Gourmet has a great selection of freeze-dried and dehydrated veggies. Some meat and fruit too.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Don't laugh but Gerber Graduates sells freeze dried fruits and veggies as toddler snacks… I saw them at the local grocery store and they are the same thing.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

i tried the gerber fruits. they were terrible. they are made to dissolve in a toddlers's mouth, so when you put them in oatmeal or the like, they become mush…yuck you still get the favor if that's what your after….

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

In the US it seems their corn has disappeared – most likely it didn't sell well. All I have been seeing is the fruit, which as Victoria mentions….it mushes up bad. For making powder they are ok, but not for plain eating.

Packit Gourmet started carrying freeze dried zucchini and black olives recently as well. Just got an order yesterday, along with their freeze dried green bell peppers. Should be fun to play with soon.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

The ones I had weren't all that much different from the FD Fruit packages we bought from Natural High. Maybe I was just lucky and got some packages where the pieces were bigger?

Just Tomatoes is fabulous though and the Natural High Bananas are really great too. I used them in a trail banana cream pie recipe that appeared in Fork.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools