Topic

backpack suggestions? for his/her bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) backpack suggestions? for his/her bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

i'm presently looking into replacing my g/f's and my backpacks. for me i want something lighter since i've been trying to cut weight where ever i can, due to a bad knee. Presently i have a REI UL60, approx, 3lbs 2oz, it's actually fairly comfortable, and around the right size. the girlfriend is presently carrying an rei traverse pack.
    http://www.rei.com/product/747525
    30oz, 1800cubic inches

this month i'll be buying some material and assembling an original model tarptent. so my space requirements for a tent will shrink and so will my need for that large of a pack. i'm thinking in the range of 3000 cubic inches, my girlfriend just needs a slightly larger pack, but i don't want to get her a heavyweight pack and she requires comfortable straps… i've looked into the jam2 for myself, what are some pack suggestions and opinions.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There are lots of good packs out there. The typical packs cited include:

gossamer gear miniposa
    six moon designs * (several options)
    ula-equipment
    golite jam2
    granite gear vapor trail

I am a big fan of the vapor trail, but all are fine packs. A few more observations on my recommended packs page. If you search the threads here you will find lots of discussions.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Jared,
    Get your GF a Vapor Ki and get yourself a Vapor Trail. These are reasonably light while maintaining a high level of comfort and volume.
    Of course, if you want to go really light/frameless there are many choices, but I found the granite gear packs strike the best balance of comfort, volume, and weight without sacrificing too much in any one area.

Set up a google product search in firefox daily coffee (google that if you don't know what it is) and you will soon find them on sale.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

My gf carries the Vapor Ki as well. I currently use a Nimbus Meridian but have a Six Moon Starlite on order. I tried and wanted to use the Vapor Trail but it just doesn't fit me in either size. For some reason I seem to do better with the adjustable torso packs.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Hey Chris,

When you've had time to try out that Starlight, please let us know your impressions. Especially a comparison to the Nimbus.

I too have a Nimbus (Ozone) with same frame. Even though I really like it, I've been tempted by the lure of the lighter weight Starlight. It's my winter pack so, it needs to have structural integrity, perhaps to make up for the lack of mine :)

Mike

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'll be sure and do that Michael. I'm hoping to get it next week in time for a 4-day trip over the July 4 weekend.

Jaiden .

@jaiden

My wife tried the vapor ki (I love my VT) but it didn't work for her. She liked the REI quick ul 45 a lot better, and it was cheaper too.

YMMV

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I'm not a huge fan of some of their other gear, but I absolutely LOVE their backpacks. My wife and I both use the Jam 2. She has found it hard to find a pack that fits her comfortably (we've tried on every pack at REI with weight in them). We ended up getting her the Women's Venus pack, but recently I convinced her to try to Jam 2. She loves it!

Just a suggestion –

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I know you wanted comparison to the Nimbus…..which I can't provide.

I can, however, tell you this pack is as described on SMD's site. It carries comfortably loads over 30lbs. It is light. And it is BIG.

When I take my daughter with me, this is my pack of choice for its ability to handle the weight and bulk.

Todd

Jared Cook

@rooinater

the other problem is finding stores to try them on. i know the flagship rei store in seattle carries the vapor packs, the jam2 and the ul45, so we'll go and try them on with weight and see how they fit and feel soon. not to mention try out some trekking poles… my girlfriend rolled her ankle in the olympic national forest a couple weekends ago and is still recovering, and i injured my knee running around trying to get everything done, like setup camp and make dinner… lesson learned, my knees aren't good enough to run on after 11 miles… but due to my bad knees from the marine corp, i refuse to give up my recreation… so i have to cut as much weight within reason. thank you guys for the great suggestions! i just need to trim weight within comfort, and the g/f's pack needs to be increased… she only carries her sleep system, warming layers, any added medical or odds and ends she needs. i carry everything else. i got to keep her happy so i can keep her as my hiking partner :)

Jared Cook

@rooinater

is there any comfortable packs that use a cord compression system like the rei ul60 pack? i really like just pulling the cord and it's all cinched in there tight.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools