Anyone have or used a Páramo Mountain Pull-On? I'm toying with the idea of grabbing one. I spent a good amount of time in the Buffalo Special 6 Shirt. Are they similar in function and fit?
Topic
Páramo Mountain Pull-On?
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Hi Brian,
Paramo make some great waterproofs and are well worth looking at for use in usually wet, cold environments. They breath well and the "pump action" of the lining is excellent. There are also one or two companies in the UK that use the same lining with slightly different face fabrics – with the main benefit being that you can get made to measure gear.
I sometimes use the mountain vent pull on as a winter base layer under my Paramo type gear – (Cioch; based on the Isle of Skye.) The mountain vent is fairly close fitting.
I have also used it as a mid layer over a merino base. It will take light rain but will will not be any where near as good as the Buffalo Special 6 (which I also have). Use it with a Paramo Fuera wind shirt and it will handle harder rain for some time. Again, not as well as the Special 6.
To be honest I tend not to use it; except as a base layer in winter. In the UK the weather is not perhaps as predictable as in the USA. If it were, then, OK, the mountain vent would be a slightly lighter and more breathable alternative to the Special 6. It would not be as warm as the Buffalo top and would not handle rain like the Special 6 can.
Hi Brian. I agree with most of Gordons comments. I wear mine as a base/outer layer in cool conditions. The shirt has one side smooth and tight-knit. The other is a light, brushed fleece. It doesn’t have a Pertex shell like Buffalo shirts. Water is attracted to the smooth face so water is wicked off the skin to the outer if worn smooth side out. You can wear it the other way to cool down. The fabric is very hard-wearing, and good for scrambling over rock or bush-whacking. Here is Paramo’s description of the Mountain Pull-on top. The site is worth exploring for more info. There is also a Mountain Vent Pull-on with ventilation zips. They can be bought for good prices if you look.
One other question? Do you guys prefer the Buffalo lines to the Paramo and Paramo-like lines? Or is this an apples to oranges kind of thing?
It's a bit apple and oranges to be honest. The Paramo system uses bi-component fabric to 'push' water outwards. So does Buffalo. Buffalo uses Pertex as the outer fabric on their shells, which is water-resistant, not water-proof. You'll get wet in continuous rain in a Buffalo top. Paramo shells are water-proof so you won't get wet. The Mountain Pull-on isn't a shell of course, so it offers no rain protection. I would say the Buffalo system is geared more to dry cold weather, with the occasional shower. Paramo is geared more to cold wet weather. A Paramo Aspira Smock is my winter jacket here in Scotland. I often wear a Mountain Vent Pull-on underneath it. The vents on the Aspira match up with the vents on the Mountain Vent Pull-on.
Hi Brian,
I agree with Mike on the comparisons between the two.
Like most, I have bought far too much gear over the years.
My prefered choice now is a lightweight – 500+ grm – fully waterproof Paramo-type smock for most months and a winter jacket, which is much like the Paramo Aspira. Both are made to measure by Cioch.
The smock is fully wind and waterproof; it breaths well and serves as a combined shell and mid layer. One of the major benefits of the paramo system is that you don't get condensation like you do in say gore-tex paclite gear. The trade off is more weight. But you only need one top rather than a mid layer and a waterproof. It is also light enough to carry. Then I'll wear a lightweight windshirt over a merino base.
Slightly off line on your original question; bottom line – IMHO – is get a mountain vent/pull on as a winter base layer and look at other alternatives for spring thru autumn.
Hi Brian –
I've got a Paramo Mtn Vent. It's a great shirt for cooler weather, as described above. I find I haven't used as much as I expected. Grey, size large. Current price is 70 pounds on Paramo's website, or $140 USD. I'm sure we could work out a better price for you. PM me if you'd be interested in it.
I've been a company Buffalo man for quite some time now, but I've been looking to take that next step. Paramo Aspira looks nice but I hate the colors. I wish they would make one in green.
Is there anything beyond the Paramo gear you guys have your eye's on?
What brand of Merino wool do you guys use?
One day I'll get over there to visit. It's been a dream of mine for a long time…
No problem Brian.
I wear Icebreaker merino tops. Smartwool are also a popular make. Howies are another, but i haven’t tried them. Paramo do a green Velez Adventure smock/pull-on, which is similar to the Aspira.
Hi Brian,
I too wear Icebreaker short sleeves; and Embers merino long sleeves (two weights) for winter.
If you go to http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk you'll see a range of jackets,which can be made in green and a good range of other colours. The Harta is a superb winter jacket! They cost; but will last for years.
You can have a green Aspira – see http://www.aspirafund.co.uk/
Quick bump, if I may? Has anyone run across these brands being carried inside the USA? Shipping and the exchange rate currently make picking up one of these a losing battle…
"You'll get wet in continuous rain in a Buffalo top. Paramo shells are water-proof so you won't get wet."
As I understood it, Paramo isn't waterproof per se – if, for example, the DWR wears off the outer fabric then rain will soak through – what will keep your skin dry is the pump liner, but the jacket itself will be sodden. A dealer in Reading told me that they get a lot of people returning the jackets on the basis they they're not waterproof, but as he said, the jacket may have been wet but the person wearing it wasn't.
I was living in the UK last year and bought a Velez Adventure Smock – I wore it in some heavy rain over there and stayed dry, but here in Oz I just find it too warm.
"Has anyone run across these brands being carried inside the USA?"
Check the Paramo website – earlier this year, because they don't currently have a US distributor, they were offering direct US dollar sales but it's been a while since I've been to the site so I'm not sure if they're still doing it.
Arapiles
I'm getting ready to order my winter jacket for Ohio but I still haven't made up my mind. I'm leaning on going with a S6 this year, since that's what I know, but I'd still like to take the Paramo plunge at some point. I do appreciate the replies in this thread.
I just can't feel the Paramo in Ohio. And I'm afraid that it won't hold up to the wierdness of Ohio weather…
> And I'm afraid that it won't hold up to the wierdness of Ohio weather…
Chuckle. You obviously haven't experienced the UK weather.
Cheers
If a Paramo Aspira Smock can handle a Scottish winter, it can handle anything! :)
Shame on you!
Okay. Say I've been looking at that lovely green Aspira Fund Smock. How true do they run size wise? I generally wear US XL…
Hi Brian.
What garment are you looking for? Paramo sizing is weird. They make jackets that take into account what they think you will be wearing underneath it. I am a 41″ chest, 34″ waist. I have a Paramo Velez Adventure Smock in a Medium that allows little layering under it, as it is meant for milder weather. I also have a Paramo Aspira Smock in a medium. It has loads of room for layering, as Paramo expect you to be wearing this in winter.
I love my Aspira Smock, but if i was getting a new one, i would definately go to Cioch Outdoors for it. They make handmade garments using the same Paramo fabric. It would be made to your sizes, colors, and specs.
Remember that as a US citizen, you deduct 17.5% from any displayed prices, as you don’t pay VAT.
If you go for the Paramo Aspira Smock, i’ve seen them online from about £220 up to the Andy Rouse one at £295.
I can't praise paramo enough. I got given a ten year old long jacket to replace the one cut off me by paramedics following a huge motorcycle crash. That one used to stand up to 90mph horizontal rain on spray sodden motorways and keep me dry! I also used it on the hills and it never let me down. Well worth the weight and cost in wet climates.
Become a member to post in the forums.

