Topic

Hydration Bladder Insight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hydration Bladder Insight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

What I meant by the “best compromise”…

One thing is that I hate to have just one water container, and like to be able to carry at least three liters and sometimes four of water. I don’t normally carry that much, but it happens often enough that I like to be able to most of the time.

The combination of cold weather and cold fingers can make it pretty challenging to securely close a big zip. I’ve twice walked for five or six hours on little or no water because I couldn’t get the zip to close securely. That certainly didn’t kill me either time but it isn’t an experience I’d like to repeat.

I used to carry a small (1L) platy bottle and a big zip with a hydration tube. I switched to carrying an aquafina bottle largely because the aquafina bottle was much easier to fill and much less expensive.

Another good argument for carrying two water containers is if you are using AquaMira or Iodine. It is pretty straitforward to alternate containers and be drinking from one while the other is, um, brewing.

The one thing I miss about the platy bottles (I still use them for winter ski trips because they pack so well) is that when the cap gives out you can cut the bottom out and make an *excellent* bowl. (the one I use right now weighs in at 0.4oz and carries nicely inside my cookpot). I suppose I could just buy a new bottle and cut the new bottom out, but it sort of goes against the grain.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

David,

good point on the “brewing”. lately, i’ve been taking 3 1L Platys (1 bladder and 2 bottles). i don’t like the weight of 3 water containers, but the “brew” aspect is definitely appreciated. i include the bladder because i like to be able to drink while on the move.

paul johnson

@pj

Bob,

only once did i have a “bladder” accident. bite valve came off of my Platy. fluid came out pretty fast, forcing me to clamp the tube between my teeth to stem the flow and then replace the bite valve. haven’t had a “bladder” accident inside of the pack yet. the Platy tubes are a good length. i think that this helps to reduce or eliminate the problem your friend experienced which may be caused by pulling on the tube.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Several folks have noted that collapsable water containers take forever to dry.

That can be solved with air exchange if you don’t live in *VERY* humid conditions.

I tried a small aquarium air pump … dried out this platy in 8 hours.

Call your nearest big box pet store weekly and ask if they have any on clearance … the smallest size will do.

paul johnson

@pj

good one, Jim. great idea.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Excellent idea! One can dry BOTH the bladder AND the drinking tube together!

Wonder if there are “T” connectors to allow branching of tubes to dry multiple bladders at a time?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

* yes you can buy T fittings for the air lines

* If you are really worried about disinfecting water bags …. add a tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach to one gallon of tepid water and mix well. Don’t use more bleach than that, this is not a case where more is better … pour some into each bladder and drain out thru the drinking tube … dry with the aquarium pump.

paul johnson

@pj

‘T’ and ‘Y’ fittings and tubing – try your local auto supply/parts store. also the same pet/aquarium supply store where the pump is purchased will have tubing and possibly the fittings. appliance parts stores will also have tubing.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Alternative to drying: freeze ’em. No hassel.

paul johnson

@pj

>>”freeze ’em”

been there. done that. works great. great suggestion.

it’s nice to have alternatives.

Anonymous

I wonder why no one has mentioned my favorite water containers: 20-oz sports drink bottles. The wide mouth is handy, especially for adding snow; the size is perfect: the maximum amount of water that can be absorbed in an hour (helps you keep track); there are plenty of accessory holders (or add a piece of vinyl tubing to the cap for upright drinking); they are cheap (and come filled with free sugar water) and readily available; they don’t impart flavors; and after a few uses and rinses they can be recycled. Their PET gets converted into polyester clothing. Also, they turn out to be the most weight-efficient container AFAIK.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools