Topic

Outdoor Research DryComp Summit Sack SPOTLITE REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Outdoor Research DryComp Summit Sack SPOTLITE REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    René Enguehard
    BPL Member

@ahugenerd

Locale: Newfoundland

Some of the qualms expressed in this review are a bit contradictory. While overall I agree with the review and think that this pack has potential but isn't quite there yet, wishing for it to be lighter yet having a larger front pocket and more accessories is a bit odd. I mean, sure, we all would love that, but the fact is you can't really have both.

Further, I agree with the issue about the main opening being less than easy to use, but it should be noted that this pack's primary function is as a compression sack. If looked at in this particular light, the one the designers intended, it works pretty well. It just so happens it also makes a passable ultralight pack. :)

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

It seems to be that for the price this is a great pack. Though, I still wish Golite made the Breeze. That had the outside mesh pocket. I only got a medium and my 9 year old loves it. Especially since he can see the loose stuff. I even carry it for day hikes…

Good review.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I bought this pack for light weight canyoneering last summer. called sawanobori here in Japan. At about 87 liters per kg empty weight, this pack has one of the highest ratios of volume to weight of any in my collection. However, its durability matches its light weight. On the first day of use, rough rocks tore small holes in the bottom of the pack when I placed the pack down. I patched the tears with duct-tape on both sides.

If OR made the bottom of the pack out of a more durable material, I could recommend it. But, as is; it's really just a waterproof stuff sack with shoulder straps.

I will probably not use this pack again on my next sawanobori trip. Instead I will use a pack-sized dry-bag inside a more durable pack.

Gary Thorne

@dogman

Locale: Midwest

I bought one for Packrafting, where it is the perfect size for me, for a weekender. I had to buy another for my wife, who fell in love with it. It' just enough. If you want a lot of bells and whistles, carry a full blown pack, but remember the weight factor. I own a lot of packs, I believe the quality is excellant for 60 bucks!

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

I've been continually using this pack for well over 1 year.

It's great for the price, weight & waterproofing. I use it on it's own for bike packing.

My only complaint is that the shoulder strap yoke at the top cut into my neck a bit, so I cut through a seam and it was better. Also the padding on the straps could be thicker and longer, sometimes the shoulder webbing cuts in under my armpits. No had any problems with durability, I'm fairly careful with my gear but no overly so. I'd go for a roll top closure that clipped down the sides of the pack rather than in a loop but it's not major.

Don't see how the reviewer can complain about the weight when you consider the price and quality.

For those complaining about the weight there is a lighter one:
    OR Dry Peak Bagger
    http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/dry_peak_bagger.html
    $49 261 grams 27 litres 40D Sil Nylon

I'd get the Peak Bagger if I could find somewhere the shipped to the UK for less than ridiculous money.

Brett Balmer
    BPL Member

@backcountry

Locale: Northeast US

I saw this pack last summer in one of the outdoor shops in Jackson Hole, WY and picked it up on a whim. My thought was that I would use it primarily as a day pack, but I started to have thoughts about using it as an overnight pack. I pulled out my gear and started to fool around with different ways of loading it to see if it had sufficient capacity. As it turns out for me the answer was a resounding yes for 1-2 night trips. Ultimately food bulk overwhelmes the interior volume, and weight begins to become a factor as you near 20 lbs.

The pack seems to be really happy around 15-16 lbs, which the weight of my 1-night winter kit with food/water and beverages. Summer is obviously much more do-able without the bulky winter down jacket. (also saves a lot of volume since I swap my WM Alpinlite for a WM Caribou)

Relatively speaking I have found it to be very durable, and totally waterproof which is a first for me in a backpack. It lets me save a little weight with less stuff sacks needed inside the pack. Plus – there is something very liberating about being able to roll up the top and know all that your stuff inside is protected from the elements.

A couple of techniques with the pack are:
    1. I have a Thermarest accordion style sit pad that is my luxury item on trips (also serves to insulate my lower half since I use an Exped Downmat 7short for my upper). I use this like a mini backpad/frame inside the pack to cushion things like my stove and pot from my back. Also adds some rigidity to the pack.
    2. i carry this pack a little higher on my back so that bottom of the pack nestles into the small of my back. This removes a lot of weight from the skinny little shoulder straps making higher weights more comfortable.
    3. I plan on taking this on a four nighter in Glacier this summer. I think I will be able to achieve this with a large volume fanny pack to get me some extra capacity. I am hoping to find one that I can carry facing backwards that will serve as a ledge for the OR sack to rest upon similar to what I described in #2

Anyone have any candidates for the fanny pack?

Nathanial Eady

@dagreekpacker

Locale: California's Central Coast

Great review. I looked into OR's DryComp series as a dual use solution for keeping my down bag dry. Ultimately I settled on the Vertex instead of the Summit.

Pros:
    Includes a sternum strap w/emergency whistle buckle
    Has a Zip-up front pocket thats pretty close to water proof
    Has additional padding for back and shoulder straps
    Has velcro straps for hiking poles

Cons:
    Weighs 4 oz more than the Summit with comparable capacity

While I do agree that at 17 oz for 1700 cu. in. of capacity the Vertex is too heavy for an extra Dry Bag, it makes a great ultralight backpack for up to a 4 day trip.

Steve Gaioni
    BPL Member

@sgaioni

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I just returned from 11 days on the trail at the Philmont Scout Ranch in NM and took the OR summit sack along. I found it entirely useful for carrying rain gear and water during non-hiking activities. Placing my inflated sit pad inside for support made the summit sack both stable and comfortable. I also found the sack useful for stowing the clothes and other items I'd need first thing in the morning, especially since our crew practice was to keep packs away from the tents at nights (because of bears). Some fairly reasonable use during the 11 days and preceding trips resulted in little to no wear. Overall I found the sack to be a good value.

Micheal Wallace

@michealalan1962

I was curious if the volume listed was accurate after it is rolled down. I'm fairly new to all this technical data but, as I gain knowledge about these things and figure out how much room I need the accuracy becomes important. Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools