Topic

Backpacking Fly Fishing in Cold Deap Water

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpacking Fly Fishing in Cold Deap Water

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tom Casperite

@tcasperi

I have been trying to devise a clothing system that can be used for fly fishing in cold water. Possible solutions include wearing lightweight breathable waders such as simms travel-lite waders, but I don’t like two things about this approach. First, is that when wearing waders in trail running shoes the boot of the wader can get really hot with neoprene. In the case of the simms waders the boot is made out of gore-tex, but it does not fit the foot very snug and thus there are folds in the cloth inside of your shoes. Not the most comfortable. Second, your feet can get hot and sweaty when your activity is high.

Thus my possible solution. I wanted to use waterproof kayaking pants that have latex gaskets, or neoprene gaskets if these would be able to stay submerged without letting water in I wanted to pait these pants with seal skin waterproof socks. This way you could wear the pants as rain pants without the waterproof socks that would make your feet hot. You could also just wear the socks if you shoes were still wet and cold. These pants could also be your only pair of pants with a lightweight insulating pants like merino wool. The lightest pair of pants I found were the NRS Endurance bottoms, but I don’t know if they would be submersion proof.

Bottom line is I would like to have a very versitile system for fishing in very cold streams and rivers without the problems associated with wearing full gaters.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Are you using a float tube?
    I’ve been using northwest river supply’s rodeo pant with neoprene socks and felt glued to an old pair of sandals.
    NRS’s drysuit pants look good but I can’t offer any idea about waterfastness. I’ve had goretex pants fill up with water and even in a still lake it’s not much fun.
    The people at NRS are great, give them a call and tell them what your up to, they’ll steer you right.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I was chasing around a different idea,synthetic fishnet underwear,when I stumbled across these ultra light waders at wiggys.com,8.9oz.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools