Topic

Sourcing material and hardware

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sourcing material and hardware

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

well i'm going to break out the old sewing machine this summer and start making some of my own stuff sacks, tarp tent and some other odds and ends. but am looking for a few good places to source materials, ul cord and hardware. the micro cord locks like the ones on my ursalite bag. any patern plans for cutting a catenary ridge line? or making comfortable pack straps?

basically asking for input of what places are available to buy from and any advice on needle sizes and thread type. thanks in advance.

Mike Dismuke

@mtndiz

Locale: "Pineland", NC

Besides the usual outdoor sources, I buy from two other places that may not be generally known about in this community. The first is lowysusa.com, and the second is diytactical.com. Although they cater to more military or tactical-oriented gear, the earth tone colors of browns and greens would work just fine for civilian applications as well. Lowys has minimums, DIY will sell most stuff by the yard or piece.

Another source of light-weight materials is para-gear.com. Although they can be a little pricey.

I have also found that by going to trade shows and establishing relationships with a few of the mfg's, they will usually be willing to help out home-sewers with some odds and ends.

On needle sizing and such, I usually sew with a #16 or #18 needle for light weight fabrics, with no. 69 nylon bonded thread, and 6-8 SPI. This is brought forward from parachute work, and was the set up for canopy repairs. Since it is similar to the light weight work you guys are doing, I would think it would work quite nicely as a starting point.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

i buy most of my hardware from thru-hiker.com. AYCE is a great guy and is very, very helpful to his customers, even offering sewing & construction advice.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
    Mike Dismuke

@mtndiz

Locale: "Pineland", NC

One more you might try. I have found that Wal Mart has some great deals on outdoor fabrics these days. They are buying remnants from somewhere and selling them dirt cheap. You can get all sorts of suitable light weight fabrics for $1.00/yd.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools