Topic

Guyline revelation (DUH moment)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Guyline revelation (DUH moment)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Art Sandt

@artsandt

So… I've always tied my guylines onto my tarps with strong knots and left them there. I was thinking of how to rig up my new poncho tarp. Obviously the guylines can't stay on the tarp all the time. I'd want an easy knot that I could un-do quickly. Then it hit me: just tie loops at the ends of the individual guylines, and do a loop to loop connection to the tarp. This is a flyfishing knot, but it's strong, and I think it should work fine with tarps. Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://www.flyfishingjacksonhole.com/library/loop-to-loop_connection.htm

Anyone else figured this out, or have any thoughts on it?

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

There are several BPL articles on tarping and using poncho tarps. I don't think you can view them if you're not a member. Here's a link to some info from Oware on guyline setup for tarps.

http://owareusa.com/TipsandGear%20Lists.html

scroll down the page, it's right after the section on how to fix a hole on silicone nylon. Hope this helps.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Use small plastic "snap clips" tied to the ends of your guy lines to much more quickly put the guylines on the tarp/poncho. Nice when seting up camp quickly to beat an approaching thunderstorm(OR breaking camp).

Eric

Jaiden .

@jaiden

I just tie a large bowline and then stick that through the tarp tieout and stuff the guyline through the loop. it works OK but it's the only method I've tried so I can't compare.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools