Topic

Very fun project …. less than an ounce coffee mug.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Very fun project …. less than an ounce coffee mug.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    mark henley

@flash582

Go to the sporting goods store and buy some collapsible 12 ounce can cozy's … as light and thin as you can find.

Then pick up a P38 world war II type mini can opener.

On your way home stop and pick up a six pack of Hieniken cans (they have the distinctive barrel shape).

Go home, get comfortable, and have a Hienie …. while you're enjoying your second Hienie, take the P38 can openner and carefully cut the top out of the first can leaving the rim of the can intact. Rinse out the can with soap and water and dry.

Make sure there are no sharp edges then slip the can into one of the cozy's you bought in step one.

You now have a very sturdy (the barrel shape is very sturdy) 12 ounce insulated coffee mug/cup that weighs less than one ounce. (mine weighs 0.9 ounces).

You can make a second one, but I would suggest that you stop there and save the empties to work on tommorow.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Mark you're on a roll lately! Another useful idea.

Not to hijack your thread, but the 12oz Heine makes a great pot for those need no more than 12oz water at a time.

Todd

mark henley

@flash582

Thanks!

I was just thinking that myself ….

Just add a Cozy and you have a pot cozy, an insulated mug, and a cook pot. My cozy weighs in at 0.3 ounces. The Hienie can with the top ring still attached is 0.6 ounces.

But I like leaving the reinforcement ring on the can using the P38 can opener a lot better than side cutting it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Now try drinking fresh near-boiling coffee from the highly conductive metal edge …

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

If I were to try drinking NEAR-BOILING coffee, the temperature of the metal edge would be of very little concern to me!!

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

wow Mark. I had been interested in trapper's mug but this is cool idea. Although I am not sure I will be able to find that cozy here. What is cozy made of? neoprene?

mark henley

@flash582

Can with cozy

another viewcozy

They give these cozy's away free at sporting events, cell phone companies, etc. as advertising gimmicks.

It's a cheap grade of neoprene with printing on it.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I've made pot cozys from Gossamer Gear thinlite (1/8 inch) closed cell foam. They work very well.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Somewhere I've seen silicone lips that fit on cans. Can't remember where.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

One source for a silicone lip guard that'll fit on a beer can (Foster's, but maybe others also) appears to be Ultralight Outfitters. Scroll to the bottom of the page at the following link for info (2.95 each):

http://www.ultralightoutfitters.com/stove.html

Also, except for Texas Aggies, one source that might be checked for a light foam cozy is at the following link:

http://epos3-phx.sequoiars.com/ePOS/this_category=210&store=108&item_number=404598&form=shared3/gm/detail.html&design=coop3

JRS

mark henley

@flash582

I'm thinking that a bead of silnet silicone seam sealer on one spot on the rim will suffice …. or perhaps a bead all the way around.

I don't like my coffee warm, not hot … so it's not an issue for me.

one other way to solve this puzzle would be to cut off a 20 ounce plastic bottle and stuff it into the cozy …..

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

I may be wrong but I think that mug wouldnt be any warmer then the liquid in it. The rim may be even slightly cooler since the uninsulated thin metal will loose heat easily to cooler surrounding air.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

minibulldesign.com has lip guards for a heiniken keg cans.

Barth Tillotson

@barth

I've been using an 8 oz. soft-drink can with a cut-to-size version of the cozy. It fits nicely inside my 24 oz. beer-can pot leaving room for a small stove of choice. Both of my cans are side-cut.

The hot liquid and conductive-metal lip is a bit of an issue. You have to be careful with the temperature of the liquid.

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

These lip guards are just the braclets like the yellow 'livestrong' bands. Just streach them over the lip of the can. They work very well and stay in place.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I made one of these myself over the weekend. Using a Dremel and cut off and sanding wheel I cut the inside top off and sanded it smooth. I then wrapped it with reflectix house insulation. The whole package weights 0.8 ounces. I poured some hot coffee in the can and burned my lip! I tried to fit a "livestrong" bracelet around the rim and discovered the top of the can is too small so the bracelet will not stay on. I'll have to try and affix some silicone to one-quarter of the rim. Fun and easy project.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

For quick overnights I've started using the cheap disposable foam cups you see around the office coffee maker. They are a bit on the fragile side, but if you pack them carefully in your cookpot, they last pretty well.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Can you boil water with those silicone bands on the lip of a mug/can? I just managed to fit one over my FireLite SUL 550 Ti mug, which will be perfect…but getting it on is a real bear, and will be impossible if the mug is already hot. Any idea if it would melt? Tinny's site doesn't address this specifically…

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

depends on the stove really. how much flame licks up the sides of that pot?

btw, I have one of the bands and wont use it. Its an Avent feeding reminder and fits the lg. Heiny pot well. Want it?

mark henley

@flash582

You can cut down the can to the same height as the cozy for a real simple fix …. then only the cozy touches your lip.

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I've never had one melt, but the cup you've got it on might put it closer to the heat source than my bear can pot does.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Mark – the only issue with having the insulation level with the top of the can is that the liquid may run down between the can and insulation while drinking creating a mess (depending upon the contents). Perhaps I'm just a messy drinker?!?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools