Topic

Help Measuring Torso Length

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Help Measuring Torso Length

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kari Post
    BPL Member

@karipost

Locale: New Hampshire

I was measured at my local outdoors store and they said I have a 17 inch torso and should wear a size small (but he asked me where my hips were and I pointed kind of generally). Whenever I try to measure myself, I end up with between 19 and 20 inches, which is a medium. Maybe I'm a little confused about where exactly I should measure on my hip bones. Do I want the pack hip belt to rest on top of my hip bones(with the bottom part matching up with the top of my iliac crst) or over my hip bones so that the padded belt cups my hip bones and my iliac crest is hidden beneath the padding?

Personally, I feel a lot more comfortable with the belt cupping around my hips rather than sitting on top, like most resources suggest. I feel like the pack rides up and is around my stomach this way. Maybe I'm just not used to having things gripping my waist, but I'm not sure what is right.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Depending on the weight of your load, and the type of pack, the waist belt should be at your navel. If you start with the pack cupping your hip bone the pack may slip down and cause problems with pressure on nerves and blood vessels. If the pack has load lifters, to raise the shoulder straps off the top of your shoulders, the angle of the load lifters should rise from your shoulders at an angle of not less than 45°.

I have found that many outfitters employees who have little experience carrying backpacks tend to fit packs on the "too short" side.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Hi Kari. This sizing chart from ULA might be of some help. I'm a 21" torso length, and when i order a pack at that size, the top of my hip bones usually sit right in the middle of the hipbelt.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Remember that some packs have hipbelts for load bearing, and others have a waist-strap for stability.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Mike,
    Your ULA link is currently out of order. Hopefully this is a small oversight on their part:

$whois ula-equipment.com

Domain Name: ULA-EQUIPMENT.COM
    Domain expires on 21-Jun-2008
    Last updated on 22-Jun-2008

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

It works if i click on it. Very strange.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Mike the link does not work for me either, I wonder if you are accessing the cache on your own computer?

I checked my own link for ULA and it takes me to a domain name expired site. The joys of the internet.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

I'm no techie when it comes to computers. Things either work for me or not! Here's a LINK to another measuring site. Hopefully this one works!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools