Topic

easy panel loading pack for 12 ounces

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear easy panel loading pack for 12 ounces

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mark henley

@flash582

panel loader

I took a 23 ounce, 1100 cu in old book bag that I modified for use on the trail.

I cut off all the bells and whistles, used a seam ripper to remove the pockets, and cut out the bottom of the pack. Then I sewed a piece of Silnylon around the base of the pack.

I then sewed the sil closed with a straight seam, then boxed the corners just like I was making a stuff sack.

I ended up with a 1800 cu in panel loading pack that weighs in at 11.6 ounces for about an hours worth of work.

I'll add some pockets when I get a chance that should boost it to 2000 cu in.

Your only limited by the size of the original book bag … if you started with, for example, a 1700 cu in pack you could certainly be pushing 2800 cu in with no problems. Just buy as simple a pack as possible.

And it saved this pack from the landfill

Mike Dismuke

@mtndiz

Locale: "Pineland", NC

You know, I think that's a very good idea. There are plenty of packs (and other gear) laying around that can be converted to nice, inexpensive pieces of light weight gear.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools