Topic

A fire what!?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A fire what!?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

Locale: Colorado now!!!

Why is Gilliput the only company to make a firebowl?
    I would think with all of the roving fire bans through out the country and other fire restrictions there would be more of these on the market. What gives?

Do most people just hammer one out for themselves? Or is this a useless piece of gear? If so, why?

-Passionphish

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Never had a need for a firebowl I guess. Didn't even know what they were called. I guess if you simply must have a campfire, it would be a pretty responsible way to do it. Probably too heavy for most people here.

Some kayakers use a piece of fireproof cloth for river trips that require containing ashes (Wild & Scenic designated corridors among others).

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Would a stainless steel mixing bowl work? Would be heavy tho'.

Matthew Elam

@slashpastor

Locale: Colorado now!!!

Tell me more about this fire cloth…
    Interesting…

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I have the Grilliput firebowl. It's like a vegetable steamer on steroids. It isn't as heavy as an oil pan or a garbage can lid and more stowable than a bowl but it ain't light. I've only used it on kayak camping trips in areas where a firebowl was mandatory.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

The fire cloths that I have seen appear to be made of woven fiberglass material. They are a small and square – 2 to 3 feet wide – and made of heavy fabric that can be rolled. I am sure there is a river rafting or kayaking outfitter that would have them, but I can not seem to find one right now.

They lood very similar to what is described as a welding blanket though. I am pretty sure one of these would work:

http://fireproofblankets.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools