Topic

Anyone made a quilt with head hole

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Anyone made a quilt with head hole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

I was thinking about making a jacks r better like no sniveler quilt with a little extra loft and tapering edges, but I have no clue how to make the slit. I know its put into one of the seams, but can anyone provide me with other details?

I will be using momentum, 800 down, omnitape from http://www.homesew.com/Velcro.html and regular drawcords etc

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Jonathan,

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/9941/index.html?skip_to_post=77653#77653

I added an extra 35 X 15" and used snaps to hold it together in the back of the head.
    The head opening is 8" x 4" but when you sew it from the inside it makes the hole big enough.
    You don't actually make a hole just a "U" shaped cut.

I am now using a better design by adding an extra 50 X 10" that is only stitched to the quilt on 20" of the center.
    You just wrap both ends under your neck and attach it with snap around the top of your head were it come back around.

The head hole is very finicky when you move and getting it set perfect.
    Other than that it works great.
    If you were going to use it with a summer quilt it would work the best, but wouldn't be necessary with a summer quilt.

The only thing about both of these is it just takes the place of a warm beanie and weighs more than one.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools