Topic

newbie question – pb leather?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition newbie question – pb leather?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast

Can peanut butter (or other nut butter)be made into a leather – perhaps with the addition of honey and some powdered supplement like cocoa or weight gain formula? Or would the oil in it make that unfeasible?

Got any high calorie, nutritional leather recipes you want to share? Moose goo is already on the list.

I just got my dehydrator, so I'm curious. Thanks in advance for your help.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Jane I make a peanut butter dip that can be dried and is quite nutritious. PB doesn't dry well by itself because of the fat content. I did find a way to turn it into a powder using tapioca maltodextrin but that didn't save any weight.

If you send an email to [email protected] I can send you the dip recipe.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

My feeling with nuts and nut butters is they are worth the weight to carry – due to their powerhouse of fat/calories/protein :-) If you haven't seen them, check out Justins Nut Butters in the single serving packs. Good stuff.

Jane McMichen

@jmcmichen

Locale: Maine, DownEast Coast

Thanks ladies. BTW I'm scouring both of your websites too, so I'm looking forward to lots of ideas. I'll be getting your books as soon as I can, and Laurie I'll email you when I get off work today for that recipe.

Munch on!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools