Topic

PCT Happy Hiking Schedule for 110 Miles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique PCT Happy Hiking Schedule for 110 Miles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

6:30 wake up, break camp, snack
    7:00 start hiking
    8:00 stop, 1 hr. break, daily chores
    9:00 start
    9:50 stop- 10 minute break-snack
    10:oo start
    10:50 stop- 10 minute break- snack
    11:00 start
    11:50 stop- 10 minute break- snack
    12:00 start
    12:50 stop- 1 hr. lunch break
    1:50 start
    2:40 stop- 10 minute break- snack
    2:50 start
    3:40 stop- 1 hr. cook dinner, we are in bear contry.
    4:40 start
    5:30 stop- 10 minute break- snack
    5:40 start
    6:30-7:00 stop, make camp

7+ hours of hiking time.
    3 hours of rest time.
    Thoughts, ideas, different schedules would be welcome. I want to enjoy my hike but also do 12-15 miles minimum.

Dave T

@davet

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

On a multi-week hike, your body will adjust your schedule for you automatically. On a short hike like this, you can do it for yourself.

Personally, the only scheduled event is to be on the trail by 6:00 am. I eat intermittently as I'm walking, with no scheduled stops. My legs tell me when they want to stop for 60 seconds or so. Across time, all those stops probably add up to the sum of your scheduled breaks.

I set my hiking plan so as to reach a water source during the late afternoon, and I fix and eat dinner there. An hour sounds about right. Then I hike on until I either reach my goal (be that a location or X miles) for that day at whatever time that happens to be and make camp. On the odd occasion when it becomes apparent that I will not reach either, or the location is not conducive to camping, I'll go on until the first decent potential campsite appears. Bedtime!

Wandering Bob

Gail Lusk

@alohatink

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!

Sounds like a good plan…early start is always great for it gets HOT especially once above the tree line.

Only thing I would change for sure is the quitting time…unless you do not mind setting up camp in the dark.
    It gets dark earlier in the high sierras.

Lunch breaks are great …we always took ours so in the heat of the day we could cool off by either the river or a lake :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

In summer I usually get up well before sunrise and am hiking right near when the sun just starts to poke. We usually save climbs for first thing in the morning so we get them done before it is super hot. We usually take a break and maybe swimming mid day then go on. It varies on where we hike though and the weather. The swimming/2 hour lunch really restores one. Then hike till evening and make camp :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools