Topic

Help me brainstorm a Caldera Cone (TM) for the FireLite 475ml Ti Trapper’s Mug

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help me brainstorm a Caldera Cone (TM) for the FireLite 475ml Ti Trapper’s Mug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 76 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

ti bowl should fit same cone as small agg pot. I have both pots(the pot is branded diff, but is same pot) and the lids are interchangeable between pot and bowl, but i don't have the cone.

-Tim

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Locale: San Fernando Valley

removing Spot Weld on Titan Kettle

Okay, I'm off to buy an emery wheel for my Rotozip.
    This spot weld is coming off my Titan Kettle today.
    I'm documenting the process and will post pictures.

Rand:
    I really want that large wrist band! :) Will you consider selling it to me?

Denis:
    Here's the direction I'm going. I typically bring too much alcohol. I usually end up packing excess over-planned alcohol back with me – inefficient.

In an effort to maximize fuel efficiency and weight, I would like to carry less fuel. Carry just what I need knowing that if I run out, my stove can support burning wood. I'm thinking I can leverage a Ti version of the CC to act as a wind-screen and for efficiency to retain the heat around the sides of my Titan Kettle. Using a side-burning stove should eliminate the need Denis referred to of perfecting the height of the cone. The silicone wrist band could be adjusted to lift the pot in the event I need to use wood (similar to TiGoat's Vargo stakes). With a CC cone made from Ti, I could burn wood should my alcohol run out.

Here's an concept sketch.Concept

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

not sure why you need the band. a side burner stove will support the pot without the need for the band and when burning wood the pot will rest on stakes inserted through the ti-tri. The flames from the wood would destroy the band anyway, it wouldn't last.

-Tim

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

You might want a "tube" of emery wheels. They go pretty fast.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Hi Tim:

Any opportunity I can get to leverage multi-use items, I'm on it – The over sized wrist band serves two purposes : 1) It keeps my fingers from burning by replacing a pot gripper/handle, 2) It can be adjusted to raise the kettle when cooking with wood.

I'm hoping that the cone shape can keep the flames away from melting the silicone. Silicone is used in baking so the assumption I'm carrying over (which I don't know holds true) is that it should hold up with the heat.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Check this image…

http://titaniumgoat.com/sitebuilder/images/caldera1-148×233.jpg

flame will come out the handle hole and melt the band. Heat and flame aren't the same animal. It can withstand some heat but it won't last through the flame.

-Tim

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

A couple of thoughts:

I tried using a silicon wrap around an AGG pot, over a wood stove (home made, double wall). The heat coming up was intense making it unpleasant getting the pot off. It did work, and I suffered no permanent damage. But it was not something I wanted to do very often.

The silicon wrap got covered with soot but didn't degrade any. Of course this was only after a couple of uses. I pretty quickly gave up on it and went back to a pot lifter.

As Tim said you'll likely need Ti stakes to support it in the high position. A couple extra holes could give you a low one as well.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

This is the original post with the silicone ring idea:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/15535/index.html?skip_to_post=116518#116518
    I trimmed the caldera down by the same amount the silicone ring raised the pot.
    I found other stoves tend to flare up and shoot out the top holes because the caldera is so enclosed, I would recommend the stove included with the caldera for this reason. They are a great system, the Caldera fissure is the best setup I have used, the taller pots are great because the entire system will fit in the pot, no caddy needed.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

remember he is talking about using the band to hold the pot over a wood fire, not just an alc burner. It will be fine for the alc burner because if it is efficient there won't be flames pouring up the side of the pot, but there will be with wood. I know the cone will contain a lot of the flame but the handle hole will be a major flame exit and if the band is there it will fail. I mean, it'd be nice to be wrong on this one, i'm just gonna have to see it in action.

-Tim

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

If TD doesn't come through with the big wristband you could try silicone repair tape. A single layer probably won't be enough for a pot support, but doubled or tripled up it might work. The tap sticks to itself so can be sized for your pot. This is what I used, as discussed above and should be able to withstand the temperatures.

You should be able to find it at a local hardware store.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Hi Tim:
    I stripped my handle off of my Titan Kettle yesterday and hit it with the grinder and buffer. I now have a smooth sided, handle-less pot. Finally. It took a good two hours to get there. Needless to say I went back and found this after the fact.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/firelite-sul-900-titanium-cookpot.html

The silicone ring will act as my handle. This will allow me to build a cone with no gaping handle hole for irregular wood burning flicker flames to break through.

Brett:
    That thread is exactly where I was going!

I spent a good portion of yesterday trolling around local kitchen stores in the San Fernando Valley looking for a silicone ring to span the circumference of my Titan Kettle. The best solution I've found thus far is a silicone oven mit.
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/230/6360714587217P.JPG
    I get style-points for the giraffe.

Cutting the top 1" portion of the sleeve from oven mit would allow the silicone to stretch perfectly to fit my pot's 4 3./8" diameter. And it cuts off the oven-mit animal head.
    thus eliminating any style-points I had coming.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Matthew,

I didn't realize you were going to make your own cone out of Titanium. Without the big handle hole it may not be as bad as i had feared. I am interested to see how it holds up.

-Tim

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

I'm been digesting your feedback on a stove similar to the Bios but rather is adjustable so I would not get flames out of the top of my CC holes. I've been Google'ing.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Matthew,

The Zelph-Tinny war has been going on for a long time. I would not let that color your opinion of the Backpacking Light community in general. And, even though bpLite.com does have a familiar ring to it (hmmm- wonder where they got that name?) there is no relationship between that site and this one other than Dan Yeruski (Zelph) is a sometime poster here.

-Mark

Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

Matthew:

Sorry for missing the last couple days of this thread. The silicon band we made is designed to fit around the Henie and Fosters can. It won't make it around Titan Kettles or other larger things. Your pot needs to be sized for the Fosters/Henie type diameters to get the band around it.

Happy to get some off to you (or anybody else) for use in a DIY application…..send mail to the usual traildesigns DOT com address. Remember, it isn't going to work on diameters much larger (or smaller) than the beer cans….and I agree with the observations on using it in a ti-tri environment.

Just so you know, what is holding us up in releasing the moster band, is trying to find time to figure out the Henie cone height. Do we make the cone so the whole thing fits in the can…..or do we let it stick out a little further to get more water inside the cone environment. Once that is determined, we can then make up packages of the larger bands with instructions on how to place them on both Fosters and Heinies. In the mean time, we have a huge box of unpackaged, undocumented, un-productized large bands available for those who want to play with them.

Rand

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Matthew,
    How about a bicycle spoke handle. Only weighs about 3 grams and works fine with a C Cone. No silly-cone, no pot lifter, no problem.

Evernew 0.9L pot with bail 1
    Here's one of the many I have done.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

<div>In Japan, many are made of fire Rice-pot good for quite a long time cooking.

Good thermal efficiency of heat is added to the overall average.</div>

<div></div>

<div></div>

ๆ—ฅๆœฌใงใฏใ€ใ‹ใชใ‚Šๆ˜”ใ‹ใ‚‰็‚Š้ฃฏ็”จใซ็ซใฎๅปปใ‚ŠใŒ่‰ฏใ„็พฝ้‡œใŒๅคšใไฝœใ‚‰ใ‚Œใฆใ„ใพใ™ใ€‚

็†ฑๅŠน็Ž‡่‰ฏใใ€ๅ…จไฝ“ใซๅนณๅ‡ใ—ใŸ็†ฑ้‡ใŒ่กŒใๆธกใ‚Šใพใ™

Alkamafig

http://knyco.web.fc2.com/nabesp/kama.html

too heavy

Viewing 17 posts - 76 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools