Topic

Comet vs. StarLite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Comet vs. StarLite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I've been looking at going from my Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian to a Six Moon pack but I'm having a hard time deciding between the Comet and the Starlite. I'm barely filling the Nimbus I have now to the top of the main bag (not using the extension collar) during winter and have even less in it during summer so I'm looking to downsize. I don't expect my pack weight to ever be over 35 lbs and that would only be with a lot of food and water. I think both packs use the same suspension in which case the Comet is probably better since it's a little more compressable but I'm not 100% on that. Any feedback is of course greatly appreciated.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The suspension is the same. I prefer a large pack then let my sleeping bag consume the extra volume. Somepeople like to have a small pack, but the weight of the extra pack cloth is only 1 oz.

It may be a matter of style.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Call SMD direct at 503-430-2303.

Ask Ron or Branden Moak for their suggestions.

Personally, we went with the new Traveller. My wife has a sub-15 inch torso length and the adjustable suspension made all the difference for her vs. the Essence.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I love my Starlite for, among other reasons, what Richard mentions about quilt loft.

That said, it is BIG – I gather you like smaller, so the Comet is probably more up your alley. No personal experience there, however.

Todd

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I actually think I'm going to go with the Starlite for the external pad access. That is one of the things I love about the Mariposa I used previously.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools