Topic

Propore Bivy Anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Propore Bivy Anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    douglas ray

@dray

Locale: Olympic Peninsula

I just did my first hike with a drop stoppers rain suit and I was really impressed with the breathability of this material. This lead to visions of a bivy sack made of the stuff that could wigh somewhere less than ten ounces and be a really usefull piece of gear for us wet-climate types. Has anyone had any experiance with such a thing? And does anyone know if it’s possible to buy propore by the yard somewhere?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

In June of 2004 I received two sample pieces of Propore from 3M. 5 yards of the yellow and 6 yards of the blue. The yellow is the lightest at 2.37oz more or less a sq yard (36″ by 36″). During the time 3M was making it it only came in 3 colors that I knew of. The lighest – yellow and white and the heavier in blue. I don’t know where my piece of blue is that I used to get its weight.

The patent ran out and 3M sold the machinery to make Propore to someone. The material isn’t real strong and on my Rainshield O2 rain gear about half of the seams are “heat welded” somehow.

I never used the Propore material. When I first got it I had though about making a tarp out of it but found lighter material and used that.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools