Topic

What do you do?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What do you do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gary George
    BPL Member

@maaax

Locale: Central California

I want to do a three days trip south of Tuolumne meadows(Yosemite)this week. There is a chance of some freezing rain and some snow up at higher elevations. What would you ultra-lighters do for shelter? I have a couple of tents, including an HS tarptent. Also have tarps and a BMW vapr bivy sack.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

You might consider going out of Mono Meadows(the trailhead on the road to Glacier Pt.)
    poke around the country around Mt. Starr King, further,with more off trail up the Clark fork drainage towards Mt. Clark, or even further,on trail-17 mi. or so one way to Ottoway Lk. All are beautiful destinations, very suited for those who move fast and light.

This is lonely country,mostly below 10,000 feet, suited to late season travel. It’s also largely below timberline, so more protection for tarp travel if you get some snow or other nasty weather.

I would use this trip as an opportunity to test your tarp skills. Depends on your comfort level. It is, of course, no fun if bad weather sets in for the duration of your trip. You can’t beat a tent for comfort under those circumstances. So, puts your monies down and takes your chances.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Keep in mind that the roads are just about off limit for parking soon. Next weekend was my year anniversary that my buddy and I were caught in a winter snow storm that caught many hikers off guard. This was not a thunderstorm but a full blown winter storm that started our winter. Make sure you have a bail out option if weather turns sour. It already has started to snow in the high country. As for everything else. It is some of the best time to be out in the wilderness. It does not get too hot, the nights tend to be a little cooler, no crowds, and the colors changing is awesome. I too am thinking about dragging the wife for an overnighter if we have the time. Good luck and have fun!!!!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

The NWS has reported that the weather is supposed to great this coming weekend, but cold at night.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Keep in mind that both Tioga Road (Tuolomne Meadows) and Glacier Point road (Mono Meadows) are now closed for overnight parking (10/15). They do this to avoid having backpackers cars snowed in until spring.
    So you’d have to start your trip in Yosemite from a different (lower elevation) trailhead.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Gee, it’s that time already?

One could still do my suggested trip(s) w/ more elevation gain (suck it up) from happy isles in the Valley.

Gary George
    BPL Member

@maaax

Locale: Central California

Thanks! I had no idea that the roads would close already. Maybe I’ll head over to Kings Canyon’s Cedar grove and go up into Paradise valley instead.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I would also call Kings Canyon. They close Hwy 180, during the fall till spring when the weather turns bad.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools