Topic

Water collection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water collection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Chiappa
    BPL Member

@chiappaj

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Up until now I’ve used a pump filter for my water. I want to swap to Aqua Mira but I have a couple questions.

In areas where you don’t have great running water. How do you gather water? (out of stagnant ponds, small springs, etc …)

And second, how do you pre-filter your water when collecting from the above places?

I normally use 2 disposable 1L bottles or a Camelback.

Thanks,

– Jon

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Until just last week, I used to use cheap plastic water bottles (bottled water you buy in any supermarket). Getting water was easy. You squeeze the bottle, then you place it in the pool of water — even if just a few inches deep. You then poke the bottle here and there to get it to pop back to normal shape, and in the process, water is sucked into the bottle (say about 1/3 full). You repeat the process (squeeze bottle to get the air out, then place bottle in water, then get the bottle to pop back into shape) 2 or 3 times, and you have a completely full bottle. Oh, and you prefilter simply by rubber banding a very fine mesh over the mouth of the bottle.

Now that I have switched to bladders, the above won’t work. As far as I can tell, bladders work best if there is a vertical flow of water. Otherwise, and esp. if the pool is very shallow, you may have to ladle the water with a cup.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools