Topic

Make me a miniature sleeping bag $$

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Make me a miniature sleeping bag $$

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

OK guys – I'd like to commission any of you DIY pros to make me a functional miniature mummy sleeping bag that is as close to the "real thing" (zipper/velcro, hood with cinch cord, baffles) as possible. Approx size should be about 3-4 inches long by 2 inches wide. I would like to use it as a "ring bag" since I would like to use it to propose to my GF.
    Of course I would pay you for your troubles, but it may also be a fun project to do!
    So help me "close the deal" and hopefully my wonderful GF (she wanted to pay for half of our Refuge X!!) will want to backpack til the end of the world with me!
    Cheers,
    Sven

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Awesome idea Sven! If I had the skills (and time and materials) I would do it for you for free.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

how soon do you need it? i am heading to Montana in 2 weeks, but will be taking my machine with me. thinking this over, i would have to make it with synthetic insulation and it would have to be sewn-through, but i could possibly do it. i'm just already busy getting ready for the trip and with other sewing, so i may not be able to do it immediately. we could probably work out a barter if you want.

anybody else?

i know i have the fabrics, and i have pillow-type fill… this is just such a cool, wonderful thing that i would love to help out.

edit: what the heck. i can sew you a cute little bag with a drawstring hood and a zipper (the velcro may be a bit much, given your desired scale). what color do you want? red, white, grey? if silnylon works for you, i could make it in yellow or brown as well. my email is tarbubble at yahoo.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Actually…you need a mini bag? I have one you can have!!!! It came with Ford's rip off GI Joe set. Lol! It fits a 12" action doll. You want? It is all yours :-D

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You know you want it ;-) Lol!!!! Come with tiny stuff sack and wafer thin sleeping pad designed to cause horrid back pains. All in groovy green. And now I found the matching pillow!

Hehheh!!

Photobucket

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Sarah, Sarah…you can't just give away gear without the specifics!

How much does it weigh, and what is its temp rating? ;)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The whole set up is under 1 ounce and will keep one warm to say 75* out ;-) The ultimate in UL gear I tell ya!

;-) The sweet set also comes with a mini cooking set, mini MRE's, fire pit, turkey on a rotisserie stick, a frisky black stallion and lots of semi auto weapons. Who wouldn't want this sweet setup?

hehheh

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

You could even shave a few grams by leaving the stuff sack at home and shortening the cord on the bag!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

As you can see, Larry here lives in the lap of luxury. We just don't know where his left leg went to.

Photobucket

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

you will not injure my delicate feelings if you opt for Sarah/Larry's miniature setup.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

That's okay, we're well resourced here. Since this should actually be in the MYOG forum, let me say that I've been a Prosthetist for 15yrs. I think I can talk you through making a new one for him.

Rod

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sarah:

That looks way cool(!) — wow, a minature bag with its own pillow, pad and stuff sack.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I can't help with the S'bag Sven, but good luck (and congratulations)!

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Sven,

From your avatar I suspect you will be eligible for membership, but there is a club for men that recognize the genetic advantages of marrying a woman that is a lot smarter.

No dues and the meetings are flexible and can even be solo hikes.

The only advantage I have over my wife is I married a lot better than she did.

Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are both members.

Anyhow–congratulations!!!!!!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

there is a club for men that recognize the genetic advantages of marrying a woman that is a lot smarter.

LOL … spent the past three days canoing with several long time friends and among our conversations was one where we all agreed that we'd been fortunate to have "married up".

Only one nit to pick with Richard's version … if they were so smart, how'd we get'm to marry us?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Jim,

Even smart people sometimes make poor choices. Fortunately her one flaw is she refuses to admit her own mistakes.

Life is good.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

>>Only one nit to pick with Richard's version … if they were so smart, how'd we get'm to marry us?

Jim, I married up as well, and though my wife may be smarter than me, I am more clever!

Sven – congrats. Post a pic when you get the bag and have the ring in it. You're such a romantic.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Congratulations Sven! Good luck!

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Dear all –
    thanks for your wonderful support and well wishes! Sorry it took me a while to respond, I was leading a backpacking "bootcamp" over the weekend. I think that I would like to take both of you (Sarah and Colleen up on your offers: Colleen, if you could make the bag, that would be great (I will send you an e-mail)! I don't need it right away so there is no hurry. Sarah, I think that the one you have is a bit too big unfortunately. I just want something that screams "cute" (anything that is very small is cute I guess). But! If you don't mind parting with parts of your set I would love to get the pad, pillow and stuff sack from you! Let me know what you think.
    With regard to marrying up or down I am definitely marrying up. She is 6'1 and I am barely 5'6. LOL
    Sven

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yep, enquiring minds want to know. Break a leg! :)

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Well done Sven, this is what BPL is all about a community of "like minded persons"

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Btw….Larry's fine ensemble of gear shipped this morning ;-)

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Hey guys – just a quick update: the proposal sleeping bag is done! Enjoy!

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=105931#1659748

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"That better be 800 cubic inch fill or Ken is gonna kick…"

Very nice Sven. Great idea. Perfect follow-through.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

So what did she say?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools