Topic

Sun shade tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sun shade tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Locale: Israel

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for tarp for two that could be used not only for wind and wet weather but also for screening from hot desert sun and winds.

Tarp mainly will be used in Israel (rocky desert like ground) where I live, twice in a year it will be used for a weeklong treks in New Hampshire or Maine (regularly one in March and the other in October), where I go with my business trips and weeklong vacation in European Alps once a year.

In addition I have one more generic question: you know my demands what would you choose for a shelter system:
    1. Double Wall Tent
    2. Tarp + Bivy
    3. Tarp + Net Nest
    4. Tarptent

Any suggestions are really welcome, Yaroslav

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I live in the Mojave Desert and find the TarpTent Contrail a great tent with lots of room for one plus gear (or a dog) and excellent ventilation.

The Contrail is fast to pitch and great shelter in a downpour or an all day drizzle. ONE CAVEAT: take a light plastic floor-shaped ground cloth when camping with a TarpTent on sandy ground. Don't ask me how I know.

Tarps usually require trees or several poles to erect and take more time than most tents to set up.

A bivy and a tarp is a heavy combo. A tarp and a mosquito net are not as good as a TarpTent.

The only problem that a double wall tent will partially solve is a duststorm B/C of the fly and wall coverage. How many times will you be in a duststorm? In a true, full on Sirocco or sandstorm nothing short of a vehicle will keep out the sand.

Eric
    P.S. I almost forgot: TarpTents are great at keeping out the creepy crawlies like scorpions, spiders and snakes – OH MY!

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

For sun, nothing is better than a reflective surface that creates complete shade rather than just blocking some of the rays. So for these purposes I'd recommend an American Medical emergency blanket (85 g.) or equivalent that has a reflective surface, and tie cords onto the four corners.

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Contrail is great tarptent for one person I need shelter for two.
    I was thinking about one of the follows: Cloudburst, Double Rainbow, Lunar Duo, Refuge or one of the oware tarps.
    But I do not know which one will suite my requirements, especially one with sun. I think Silnylon will not handle strong sun light.
    What about durability of American Medical emergency blanket? Will it last more than one week? I used one from my army emergency kit – it lasted couple of days, however I think it was chine made one. More over it was really small and could provide really good sun protection for one person only.

I found something from mesh at: http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/A-sunshade_desert.htm
    but my biggest concern about it weight. I think it weights too much.

Yaroslav

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

This material from Seattle Fabrics is intriguing:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#1.3%20oz%20Reflective
    Quote:
    "1.3 oz. Heat and Solar Reflective Ripstop
    1.3 oz. per sq. yard. A tightly constructed ripstop weave with a metalized urethane/silicone coating on each side. Very light weight plus heat and solar reflective. Perfect for tents in hot climates where staying cool is necessary or cold climates where staying warm is necessary. This fabric will both reflect heat away or inwards.

Width: 64"
    EndQuote

If you don't need bug protection at all times, I suggest either a separate bug net or large zip doors. In calm conditions bug netting really blocks airflow.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

YES. I believe this is the fabric used for the bottom of the Titanium Goat bivy. If so, you could simply turn the bivy inside out and use it as a reflective shield.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Yaroslav,

The one you used was probably just a mylar sheet. It breaks down after several uses. The AM emergency blankets have a polyethylene backing and are surprisingly durable. For instance, you would have no problems using it as a groundcloth for 30+ nights. They come in single and double sizes, and the double is the size of a small one-person UL tarp.

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Rick, where do I buy American Emergency Blanket?

Is anyboby know some tarp that uses Solar Proof fabric?

Is it posssible to ask Brian to create on of his tarptents using it?

Anyway, if I will decide to go with this fabric how much yards I need to purchase in order to create good tarp for two person and some gear?

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Major Surplus & Survival has them for pretty reasonable. It has grommets built into it and is 90% reflective. I think this fits what you are looking for…

http://www.majorsurplus.com/All-Season-Outdoor-Blanket-P13485.aspx

all season outdoor blanket - reflective

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Stephenson's USED to offer an 'aluminised' option for the outer tent (I think it may be the same or similar to reflectex, but not sure). If you got a 2R with optional side windows you would have plenty of reflective and well ventilated shade as long as the weather didn't require you to close everything up. Good in high winds too. Expensive though!

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

I emailed Ron Bell at Mountain Laurel Designs a few weeks back with a question about his tarps and UV protection. He replied, saying that all of the silicone type fabrics offer great UV protection. I believe that all his tarps are silicone based, so you might want to consider any of his tarps or similar from another company. Also, have you seen Gossamer Gear's THE ONE, their new UL single-wall tent? –Mike

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Sorry, Yaroslav, I was giving you the wrong name of the blanket. It is "Adventure Medical Kits". You can find them at REI and many online stores. Here's a link to help you begin searching:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Adventure+Medical+kits%22+emergency+blanket

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

After intensive google search I concluded that silicone type fabrics offer great UV protection for a short period of time, prolong expose to the sun light effects the fabric in hard way.

"Adventure Medical Kits" looks good though, still it is too small for 2 people. I probably will give it a try.

Anyway, what is the appropriate measures of flat tarp for two people that offers good weather protection?

Tarp or tent is for two person so I just can not use The One tent.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I have a 12×12 Kelty Noah's Tarp that I take on river trips. It's catenary cut on the edges, and fairly tough fabric, but it weighs 2 lbs!

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I know you are asking specifically about a tarp, but if you need protection while on the move, check out the Chrome Dome umbrella from GoLite or the Birdiepal LightTrek with the metallic coating. I have the Birdiepal, and it is like having a portable air-conditioner at your disposal!

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Thank you Ryan, I am looking for good umbrella too.
    But, where do I find Birdiepal Light Trek with the metallic coating?
    I googled it and got some results non of them was with metallic coating.

Regards, Yaroslav

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools