Topic

How about your Sub-10 list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists How about your Sub-10 list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Sub-1 has been interesting, and sub-5 is pretty educational, but how about a thread for the rest of the UL community?

I believe that RJ considers a 10 lb base weight to be the UL cutoff. So let's see you sub-10 lists. Bonus points for pictures.

I just uploaded my proposed list for this summer (some gear still in the mail). Feedback welcome and encouraged as always.

Rocky Mountain Summer 3-day Gear List

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Looks impressive to me.

Trappers mug and wing stove! We should be able to load up the reader reviews on the Trappers mug soon.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Jason, This looks like a solid list. What is the minimum temperature you think you get by with? You are even using the Murmur…looks like you recently did some shopping. Nice job.

The only thing that jumped out is if you expect temps below the 50's I would definitely add a fleece cap. I think the extra 1.5 oz would do a lot for regulating temps especially since you are using a vest as your insulator. BTW my sub 10 lb list is in my profile…looks like we have many similar pieces, but I must say mine is not formatted as nice as yours.

Jamie

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

On my profile now.

My solo gearlist for Roper's Sierra High Route last summer just sneaks in under 10 pounds.

Please note it includes the following ballast:
    Ursack S29 w/ alum. liner
    – PLB
    – Camera
    – A lot of maps and 112 pages of written route description

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

The Murmur is still in the mail, but my calcs say everything will fit inside (fingers crossed).

I have used this clothing system comfortably with daytime temps in the 40's and nighttime temps down into the 20's. I try to keep moving during daylight hours when it's below 50 degrees. The bivy and tarp overhead contribute to warmth at night, I always sleep in my base layers, and I can add the vest if necessary.

The fleece cap is a good suggestion, and something that I frequently add in the shoulder months (along with light gloves). I find that the Buff works pretty good as a hat when I need something extra over my ears and forehead (not unlike my avatar picture). The only real additional to make mine a full 3-season list would be dedicated rain jacket/pants, fleece hat, and gloves.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Looks like a pretty solid list Jason. I to am practice sub 10 for 95% of my trips. I just find that to get below 5 I need to leave stuff behind that I end up missing. While yes they are things I can live without, I enjoy my experience more with them (i.e. a pack with external pockets and my Torsolite). I have posted my list under my profile.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I have my Summer Sub-10 gear list ready to post. I made it in Excell, can I post in this format? Thanks for any help provided.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

I think you should be able to post in Excel – most browsers will open it as an embedded document.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Last time I saw, it required pdf format. I have yet to find a decent AND FREE conversion tool.
    Adobe Acrobat will do it too.

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Download and install the free PrimoPDF (www.primopdf.com). This creates a PDF "printer" on your computer and will create a PDF file from any printable program. Just select PrimoPDF in the printer dialog, supply a file name, and it writes a PDF file to the specified folder. Quick, easy, and free!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

OpenOffice has a "Export as PDF" option, as well as Office 2007 compatibility, and its completely free.

Adam

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

PrimoPDF worked well. Thanks.
    I suppose now I should finish my list.

Stephen Lastname

@hootyhoo

Locale: East TN

pdf conversion for free – try pdf995. I have been using it for about 4 years for my business and have had no problems.
    Jason – how can I get the program that you used to post your list? Oh yeah, solid gear list – whats the sharpie for?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Casey Bowden helped me get my Sub-10 list into a PDF format (thank you) now I need to figure out how to attach it to my Profile for others to view.

* My list is now posted on my Profile, I look forward to hearing comments.

Tim Halberg
    BPL Member

@turtlehead

Locale: Folsom, CA timhalberg.com

My gear list is attached to my profile.

I'm just over the 10 pound mark, but, I am counting my bear canister…

Hopefully I'll get this list updated at the end of the week as my new gear arrives and I have a chance to trim stuff.

edit:
    This list is for my through-hike of the JMT this summer and will be a 10 day hike.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

I have posted my Sub-10 Gear List (summer – three day hikes)on my BPL Profile, I welcome comments and or questions regarding this list. Thanks to Casey and others for their help in getting this formated and posted.

For summer trips much longer than three days, with no resupply, my only gear changes are replacing the MLD Exodus pack with a McHale LBP36 and also going to a trimmed gg thinlight pad. These changes add slightly over one pound to the listed pack/carry weight.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Here is my gear list which just makes it under 10lbs. It's a little tricky because I have shared gear: 3 season gear list with pictures. Where do I cash in my bonus points?

Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

Hey Frank, that trick candle is a great idea……….those things are impossible to blow out…..consider it committed to my fire kit.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Klas,

Hopefully you're out hiking the SHR and not reading this right now! If you do happen to be rading this, I see that you're planning on using the Ursack S29. I have one as well and I'm dreaming about the SHR sometime, maybe next year. I'm sure you know the SIBBG pulled the approval for the S29.

Are you concerned about the rangers when you have to roll thru Yosemite? Are you hiking S-N? If so, what about rangers at the S trailhead? I would much rather carry the S29 but am concerned about getting nabbed.

Thanks!

BTW, my avatar pic was taken right near the top of Vogelsang Pass…you'll probably walk right next to that spot :)

Dave T

@davet

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Dave T,

I always enjoy reading your posts as they are well written (despite rarely using capital letters) and based on considerable experience (PCT, SHR, etc). On many occasions you have noted that on these hike you carried too much and would go lighter next time.

It would be great if you could create a new thread listing the gear you brought on those trips and what you would do differently now.

Everyone else that wants to hear from Dave regarding this, let him know!

Dave T

@davet

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

I am also interested in the gear lists. Dave has already helped me logically remove a few items from my upcoming trt trip.

I think my new favorite thing to read is gear progression by people. The evolving state of a hiker from ul to sul(even if we all define these categories differently).

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I see I missed the 2007 refs. Well, I guess I'll be stuck with a Bearikade or Bear Vault. I won't be going this year so maybe the Ursack stuff will shake out over the next year and I can use that.

Anyway, if the SHR is in the cards I doubt I'll want to storm it. If I can't take at least 3 weeks to smell the roses, I'll probably look at another hike.

Thanks Dave!

Dave T

@davet

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools