Topic

140cm Trekking pole upgrade

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 140cm Trekking pole upgrade

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Hello,

I have a 20 year pair of Leki Super Makalu trekking poles that are still holding up but I was wondering if it might be time to upgrade and give there to the GF.   I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pair of trekking poles that are durable and then light that will go up to 140cm and that are collapsible.  Thank you.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Nice!  I have the same poles that I bought in Needles Gap while hiking the AT in 2000.  This year, I finally “replaced” them.  I say that because they have too much history and too many thousands of miles to get rid of.

I got and LOVE the Cascade Mountain Tech Poles in Carbon Fiber.  Costco has these all the time.  They are strong and lightweight and hit a great price point as well.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

The Mossy Oak and not the two-pack?

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Not sure what Mossy Oak is…I got a one pack for $29.99.

Here they are on the website:

https://cascademountaintech.com/collections/hiking-trekking-poles/products/carbon-fiber-hiking-trekking-pole-cork-grip

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Okay.  On the Costco site they only show the two pack for 70 and the other for 45.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Gotcha.  Yup…the two for 70 is them.  I got them in a single pack.

I’m sure you could sell the 2nd pair right here!! :)

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I like the Costco poles too, especially for the price. I modified a pair to have a “pin’ at the tops of the handles to use with the Durston X-Mid tents. That allows me to avoid placing the handles in the muddy ground.

However, I feel that the weak link of these poles could be the plastic screw thingies that tension the flick locks. If one was to break while on a backpack trip, it would be a disaster. So I went to Home Depot and bought 4 wing nut screws to replace the plastic ones, and I now feel pretty secure regarding the poles.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I think the single one and the two pack will probably be the same.  I don’t have a Costco membership and would have to order them in so I guess I would have to ask a friend.  Thank you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools