Topic

Tarp Setup, No Poles – Techniques

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp Setup, No Poles – Techniques

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

I'm interested in learning more techniques, tips or strategies that you use with a tarp with no dedicated poles or trekking poles.

I personally don't use trekking poles much, and I don't carry dedicated poles for my tarp. I've done four solid trips in this way recently and really like it. For me it fits in perfectly with my hiking style of using/having less gear, and using more creativity/skill to accomplish the same task, in this case shelter supports.

One of the hardest situations I've encountered is above treeline when there are no downed sticks, trees or much of anything for that matter. The second pic here shows one way I pitched my tarp in such conditions (not above treeline in this case, but using similar supports as avail above treeline), in this case it was because of high wind and the rocks provided the best natural wind break.

Pics from Section B of the PCT May 25, 2008 (full trip report to come, tarp is 9' x 7' x 4' 6" etherealgear.com silnylon):

Warner Springs area (body shielding downed stick for front ridgeline, treewrap for foot ridgeline):

Fobes Saddle, San Jacinto Wilderness (crazy high wind speeds):

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Hi. The area you hike in makes a big difference. If i used your 'rock pitch', i would expect to get washed out by any night rainfall. :)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Is't your tarp going to tare in the 2nd picture. Maybe re-think that approach. I am being constructive.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Mike,

Plenty of rain this trip, no problem, bivy took care of any water below. I don't think it matters where one hikes really (limited to NA I quess), but hikers have done triple crowns, yo-yos etc with this style with full success, for example Francis Tapon CDT Yoyo 2007, Scott Williamson PCT Yoyo 2006 amoung otheres.

Jay,

Thanks for the concern, but no it didn't, silnylon is very tough and there were no sharp objects putting significant pressure anywhere. I appreciate the input though :) Francis Tapon did the rock pitch (picture below) with cuben (MLD Spectra Tarp) on the CDT with no problems many times.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

No problem Jhaura:)Just looked as if you were sleeping in a natural watercourse. Choice of pitch can be limited without poles and you may be forced to pitch in a so-so spot?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

thanks for the images, I will refrain from comments other than to say it is interesting to see one of my tarps put to such abstract pitches. Hope to see more! Mike

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

NM. Ho-hum.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I applaude the effort, and great pics!

I have a buddy that basically rolls himself up in a tarp like a burrito. Doesn't breathe worth a dang, but he seems to do fine and he doesn't need poles (or a bivy).

I have thought about setting up in the rocks like that on many an occasion. But then I usually get to looking around and reckoning how all those rocks got there (in my case, not necessarily in yours), and well… I tend to find somewhere different.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Mike,

Do you have a website showing off your wares?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools