Topic

using a windshirt in the rain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion using a windshirt in the rain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

Being more of a white water wilderness canoeist, the one thing you can count on is being partially wet. I have had ample opportunity to experience days on end of strong winds with cold rains out of the north in the James Bay/Hudson Bay area. Although I wear a base layer of wool and stay warm, I find it mentally exhausting to be constantly damp in one form or another. When dry, I have a high tolerance for adversity but after three or more days of being wet my patience has worn thin and I no longer see the wilderness through rose tinted glasses. There is a lot to be said for staying dry.

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

Last thanksgiving at Big Bend it was 40 degrees and raining most of the day. Unusual for Big Bend to get an all-day rain. That's why I did not have a true rain jacket with me. I had on a silk base top, a long-sleeve North Face nylon top, and the Dri Clime. I was fine while moving. But at lunch, we set under a rock overhang, out of the rain and boy, did I start to get cold. The only other layer I had was a down vest – not a good addition to completely wet clothes. A truly miserable day.

Even with a rain jacket, after all day in it, you are going to be wet. I do believe that the Dri-Clime performed very well for me and that I might not have really been more comfy with a rain jacket.

You will wet through. But you can stay warm with it.

I has a combination of a Outdoor Research fleece beanie and Seattle Sombrero on the noggin. Can't say enough good about either of these. Having them was probably a lifesaver that day.

The only change that I would have made to my gear would have been to exchange the down vest for a Micro-Puf vest – which I have since done. No more hydrophobic down on the trail for me. I could have worn the MicroPuf with the wet clothes without fear of loosing all its insulation value.

That night, getting into the down sleeping bag and trying to stay warm was a real issue. _All_ clothes had to come off, the 20-degree North Face bag and down vest went on, and I was still cold. I think that the down was damp in the high humidity and rain and was of limited usefulness.

The Ray-Way and this experience has convinced me on the down issue. I even have a MLD winter quilt on order that should be in about the end of next week. It is replacing the down sleeping bag for this year's Big Bend extravaganza.

So, Yes. Use a Dri-Clime but have a plan for the soaked person you will be at the end of the day so as to stay warm.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Harlan, that was the first Thanksgiving since 2003 that I was not hiking with the Sierra Club out there in Big Bend. I heard the stories of the wet and cold and was a little glad I wasn't there. One group out on the Mesa D'Anguilla had more than one person without raingear in those conditions. I'm sure the leader was a little concerned, but I never heard of any hypothermia problem.

Pete Strifler

@pstrifler

Locale: OH, PA, VW, VA

I have to second the umbrella… After over a year of ownership, I finally had the chance to use it!
    I have one of the golite models, and it functioned perfectly during the last rainstorm I was in. This was an all day long, steady and sometimes heavy rainfall. Everyone's gore-tex (or other) jacket failed after the first hour of rain, but the umbrella kept my head & torso dry with rain hitting only my arms. I was able to hold it in place using the chest strap of my backpack, and still use poles.
    I also had an Integral Designs Silponcho, but during an infrequent rain lull removed that and went to the umbrella/windshirt combo. During that lull, the umbrella slid into my belt strap like a sword. When needed quickly deployed.
    It really worked well. I wish I had a picture – as it must have looked funny.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Yes, Pete, the bumbershoot is a piece of gear that is underrated and/or discounted by most. Now that I live in the soggy PNW, I never leave home without it. If nothing else, the fact that you don't have to worry about condensation would be enough to recommend using an umbrella. I have never had any luck using any of my Gore-Tex jackets: it seems I end up wet whether I wear it or don't wear it. So it's either a 'brelly or a poncho.

This past Sunday I was out on a day hike…steep trail, steady rain and pulled my 6.8 oz 'brelly out of my pocket (collapsed it measures 2 X 7) and continud to hum along up the trail without overheating as I would in G-Tex. By people's initial reaction I could tell that I was challenging their preconcieved notions of wilderness ethic/dress code. But not all. One sodden fellow stopped me and said "Dude, you've got the secret stash!" Indeed.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools