Topic

Does a tarp work in Marin?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Does a tarp work in Marin?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Hello everybody :) I spend about 3 nights a week outside around Marin county, CA. I live in Fairfax and the majority of my time is spent to the open west (for those of you familiar with the area). Nowdays I just sleep out with my bag and pad. However I just got back from a little 20 mile overnight and feel that in the intrest of self preservation have to make some changes to my shelter situation. Projected forcast was clear lows in the 50's but after about 1000' of gain I was facing driving rain and 40+ mph winds. Luckily I dropped down to Kent lake and ecaped the madness. I love the idea of a tarp but don't know if its practical for where I am. In most all photos the tarp is very elegantly pitched on level ground with ample space between trees. In the years I have been hiking these hills these type of sites are few and far between, designated to campsites if anywhere. What alternatives do I have?

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

How much weight are you willing to carry?

I haven't been to Marin County, but it appears that you have some trees. Could you use a hammock?

What about a tarptent – they don't require trees.

If you want something for only occasional use in bad weather, how about a fully stormproof bivy?

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

Hey Sean

Take it you're near Tamarancho area / Golden Gate National Recreation Area? Totally understand about the lack of "flat clear ground" out there.

A tarp will work perfectly fine, all one really needs is enough space to fit a body, it doesn't matter as much like a tent where "flat ground" is imperative for a good pitch! (As long as drainage is good and there is no pooling!)

That's the beauty about tarps is the flexibility to place them just about anywhere one's imagination will allow one to do so.

The other option is using a bivy (which is great when stealth camping in the tall golden grass while keeping out the bugs, in this case ticks!)

Or combine the two together for more options and coverage!

Can also use trekking poles to set-up a tarp! Can also use MLD's carbon fiber tent poles, if not using trekking poles to do the same job!

For out on those windy hills, pitch that tarp low!!!

Hope this helps!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools